What makes a genius?

i was talking to my peoples at the pub last night and the genius thing came up. we agreed on most until we came to sport. i think you can, say, have a chess(not even sure it's a sport) genius. but can you get a golf, football, soccer etc genius? can you get a sprint genius, a marathon one? a cycling genius?

i was talking to my peoples at the pub last night and the genius thing came up. we agreed on most until we came to sport. i think you can, say, have a chess(not even sure it's a sport) genius. but can you get a golf, football, soccer etc genius? can you get a sprint genius, a marathon one? a cycling genius?

If the sportsman excelled in such a way that their achievement was based on scientific application above and beyond talent I suppose there could be an argument. Maybe?

If the sportsman excelled in such a way that their achievement was based on scientific application above and beyond talent I suppose there could be an argument. Maybe?

that's what i thought. bolt, for example. too tall, too high a center of gravity, too far to come up from the blocks. he should run as fast as he does. but is it genius, or just 'freak of nature'? there's strategy and that, yes, but not sure enough to require 'genius' to excel. not sure.

Good point, i'd say you may have to limit it to either solo sports or key roles within teams.

Upon reading I first thought of boxing, but then wondered, rock climbing probably, surfing and windsurfing also probably. Others...

There is the basic definition of Genius and what it can mean, but looking here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius

The assessing of intelligence was initiated by Francis Galton and James McKeen Cattell. They had advocated the analysing of reaction time and sensory acuity as measures of "neurophysiological efficiency" and the analysing of sensory acuity as a measure of intelligence.

So, credit where credit is due.

The quotient argument also would suggest there are geniuses in all fields!

that's what i thought. bolt, for example. too tall, too high a center of gravity, too far to come up from the blocks. he should run as fast as he does. but is it genius, or just 'freak of nature'? there's strategy and that, yes, but not sure enough to require 'genius' to excel. not sure.

But, just because someone was taller would it make them a better runner, no not necessarily!

I suppose you could argue that achievement through scientific application would make you just unique and you would have to prove yourself consistently to achieve that accolade. But..If you could prove that your consistent winning as a top flight Golf player was due to nothing more than your application of science and the physical side was the vehicle, then I think that would make you a genius because talent is mostly seen as the overriding factor in sport.

But, just because someone was taller would it make them a better runner, no not necessarily!

You could use that argument for every sporting aspect of the human form...that's when other aspects kick in, emotion, psychology, health, drive, need...these are equally winning aspects.

Archived