What makes a genius?

A genius is anyone who can explain truthfully how the U.K. has managed to sink so fast since about 1975. After all it took some kind of genius to turn a fairly law-abiding, literate, numerate, compact country with a temperate climate and awash with fish, coal and oil----the first in the world to become industrialised--into the sordid dump it is today.

A genius is anyone who can explain truthfully how the U.K. has managed to sink so fast since about 1975. After all it took some kind of genius to turn a fairly law-abiding, literate, numerate, compact country with a temperate climate and awash with fish, coal and oil----the first in the world to become industrialised--into the sordid dump it is today.

nothing lasts forever. does that make me a genius?:hihi:

• 4 weeks later...

Headingnorth sorry to be a bit late replying to your post [ 54 ]. Well, our financial position doesn 't seem very healthy at the moment. Not being an economist I 'm not sure what the difference is between ' bankrupt 1975 ' and ' skint, owe loadsa money 2011 ' ?

In any case I wasn 't just thinking about the economic situation. There 's more to the ' quality of life ', surely, than simple economics ?

All I remember is that up to the early ' 70 's it seemed like a golden age in the U.K. compared with today------a general feeling of optimism----more universities, more foreign travel, less crime, less control------a feeling that we were living in a fairly secure, fairly free, quite prosperous, stable, pretty crime-free society-----at least compared with other developed countries.

In a small, compact, temperate, literate, numerate country-----stable, well-organised, full of mineral wealth ------how can we have possibly reached the abysmal state we 're in today ? Education----falling internationally ; finance----skint ; family life--half disappeared ; crime----more violence ; theft----terrific increase ; control----from birth to death ; health service----tottering ; drugs and alcohol----vast increase.

All this has happened from, say, 1970-1975 to 2011. Anecdotal ? Yes ; Statistically ? Yes.

Archived