Should I break into my next door neighbour's house?

The house next door suffered broken pipes last Thursday, their kitchen ceiling has partially collapsed and there is extensive flood damage. Since Thursday morning water has been seeping into our downstairs room as well.

The tenants next door have moved out and nobody knows who the landlord is.

We managed to access the stopcock in the street and turn the house's water supply off but when I listen through their letter box I can still hear water pouring from somewhere.

We rang the police and they logged it as an incident but couldn't do anything else. The council has no record of who owns the property. Yorkshire water were contacted but again they say they cannot do anything without the owner's permission.

It's been 5 days now and water is still coming into our house.

Would I be justified in breaking in and seeing if I can stem the tide? Does anyone have a sledgehammer I could borrow? Or does anyone have any other ideas on how to contact an absentee landlord?

not sure about your financial situation but i think getting a locksmith might be best. though they might refuse to do the job if they know you don't live there. knocking the door down might come back to you in the form of expenses for the door, and, god forbid, if someone breaks in. snow damage, rain etc might come into it too.

You could end up with a criminal record and have to pay for any criminal damage you cause. You would be best off going to solicitor and asking his free advice, for which you are entitled.

Hetty - taxman rang the police. Re-read the first post.

The stopcock on the street should have stopped the flow, but I would contact the fire brigade to see if they are willing to do anything about it.

A locksmith would charge a fortune and I'm not sure they would break into someone else's house for you. In the absence of any other help you should break in yourself, just to protect your own property but bear in mind you'll have to make it secure again otherwise a burglar could then gain easy access.

Archived