DAB radios in cars

....Anyone who has bought a DAB radio has wasted their money buying into a technological cul-de-sac....

Hmmm. I bought a little DAB radio four years ago for £50 to use in my bathroom. It works likes a charm. It has better reception than I used to get on FM and I've got a greater choice of channels. I really can't see a down side and certainly don't feel like I'm stuck down a cul-de-sac.

Hmmm. I bought a little DAB radio four years ago for £50 to use in my bathroom. It works likes a charm. It has better reception than I used to get on FM and I've got a greater choice of channels. I really can't see a down side and certainly don't feel like I'm stuck down a cul-de-sac.

Your radio will be obsolete (and not backward compatible) once the switch to DAB+ is completed.

The downside for me is sound quality. I'd rather get an internet radio, more or less the same quality as DAB but with a more complete choice of stations than the rather limited set available on a DAB unit.

An FM radio, whilst not offering the same choice of channels, offers vastly better quality, instantaneous transmission, and graceful degradation. 3 things a DAB radio cannot do.

So the ideal choice for me (when I get round to replacing the Roberts in the kitchen) is a combined DAB/Internet/VHF receiver. I think Nagel has one?

could it be because DAB radios aren't very good when on the move ?

Normal DAB radios probably are horrid while on the move, however ones that are made for cars such as the Pure Highway will work miles better. We have a Highway and its brilliant, until you get to Eckington.. For some reason not even FM works well there for any of our cars :(

So the ideal choice for me (when I get round to replacing the Roberts in the kitchen) is a combined DAB/Internet/VHF receiver. I think Nagel has one?

Yup, actually I've got two now. :hihi:

This thing - http://www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-60967

The sound is superb, but the fiddly remote controlled interface leaves something to be desired. I still think it's the best on the market and it's possible to stream iTunes and Spotify from your PC to the Avanti Flow with a bit of minor geekery.

I have a car DAB radio. It's excellent. If the DAB signal drops, in an area to which coverage does not extend**, it simply flips to the strongest local FM signal. I do wish that all new cars are fitted with DABs, the sooner the better, and that it becomes impossible to buy non-DAB sets (home or car) at the very earliest opportunity.

Radio 7 is brilliant for archive comedy.

** e.g. on A61 northbound beyond Hillsborough or southbound in/beyond Chesterfield.

I have a car DAB radio. It's excellent. If the DAB signal drops, in an area to which coverage does not extend**, it simply flips to the strongest local FM signal. I do wish that all new cars are fitted with DABs, the sooner the better, and that it becomes impossible to buy non-DAB sets

there are 200 million FM receivers in the UK.

There are 5 million DAB sets.

Those 5 million sets are going to be useless junk when DAB+ is adopted (as is the plan).

Car manufacturers aren't keen on fitting DAB as standard because it's much, much more expensive than a VHF receiver, and will be useless in a few years.

Sometimes it's worth accepting the fact that a preceding technology is superior to the 'latest thing'.

I for one will be waiting for global wireless internet, as that will out-DAB DAB and I will be able to listen to radio from anywhere in the world in my (flying) car, anywhere in the world.

DAB is at best a stop-gap technology.

there are 200 million FM receivers in the UK.

There are 5 million DAB sets.

Those 5 million sets are going to be useless junk when DAB+ is adopted (as is the plan).

Car manufacturers aren't keen on fitting DAB as standard because it's much, much more expensive than a VHF receiver, and will be useless in a few years.

Sometimes it's worth accepting the fact that a preceding technology is superior to the 'latest thing'.

I for one will be waiting for global wireless internet, as that will out-DAB DAB and I will be able to listen to radio from anywhere in the world in my (flying) car, anywhere in the world.

DAB is at best a stop-gap technology.

Oh aye I reckon it will be here one day.

Archived