Anti-Social tennants - time to stop their benefits? soon solve the problem

1) My last anti-social neighbour had kids so stopping money isn't really an option.

2) He was wise and knew the basics of the law (had had an ASBO before) so his noise was only between 8am and 9pm.

3) He'd blame the kids, or be watching out and turn it down (dealer too, so)

The only real option is to get the sound monitoring stuff installed and get them bang to rights, but then you have the "grass" element, revenge and the probable fact that it won't stop them even if they are forced to move, it just starts the paperwork again.

I have been having anti social behavour for last 4 years with nuisance neighbour and have, (1) confronted them and been attacked by them which ended up in court where false witnesses were called by them, thus got thrown out, Had all windows smashed on car but no proof who was behind it (2) filled diaries in for months and nothing been done, there a waste of time and ink, (3) had the sound monitor equiptment in for all of 2 days(thats all the time we could have it for) because it is needed elsewhere but next door was informed i would be having it installed so when it came no noise till it had gone. My neighbour slams doors at all hours of day or night constantly banging up and down stairs (jumping last few for bigger impact) but because he owns his ex council house and i am renting they cannot touch him. His partner does work and his teenage children do as dad does, I have learned to live with it and stay awake till they have stopped their games before i can finally get to bed (usually 1-2am) but not during school holidays as late as 4am. I can now survive on a couple of hours sleep then catch up after work when it has quitened down. No one will stand up to him on street as they have seen what happens when you do (can you blame them) Stopping their money would just make my life worse, .....would be better stopping their air.......

I have been having anti social behavour for last 4 years with nuisance neighbour and have, (1) confronted them and been attacked by them which ended up in court where false witnesses were called by them, thus got thrown out, Had all windows smashed on car but no proof who was behind it (2) filled diaries in for months and nothing been done, there a waste of time and ink, (3) had the sound monitor equiptment in for all of 2 days(thats all the time we could have it for) because it is needed elsewhere but next door was informed i would be having it installed so when it came no noise till it had gone. My neighbour slams doors at all hours of day or night constantly banging up and down stairs (jumping last few for bigger impact) but because he owns his ex council house and i am renting they cannot touch him. His partner does work and his teenage children do as dad does, I have learned to live with it and stay awake till they have stopped their games before i can finally get to bed (usually 1-2am) but not during school holidays as late as 4am. I can now survive on a couple of hours sleep then catch up after work when it has quitened down. No one will stand up to him on street as they have seen what happens when you do (can you blame them) Stopping their money would just make my life worse, .....would be better stopping their air.......

he can be stopped:);)

"Anti-Social tennants - time to stop their benefits? soon solve the problem".

Do that and the problems you think we have now will just pale into insignificance. Triple police presence or bring in the Army and I'd suggest using live rounds rather than rubber. You'd have a no bones very nasty riot on your hands.

I blame plasma tv's...some will just kill for one.

How would you deal with the problem?

Society's low lives cause misery for others - should we just let that continue because it's too hard to Police or resolve?

Sounds very familiar (other than the lateness!).

I filled in the booklet for a couple of months, I had to stop because the stress of it was making me ill.

Also I didn't have the sound monitoring equipment in because I knew they'd know.

Yeah, the slamming doors was the biggest issue. He was also a shouter and an abusive boyfriend, that was probably the worst bit!

In principle it seems a reasonable idea. However if/when they are then evicted for non payment of rent what then?

What happens when someone is unable to pay their mortgage. A hard working person is kept up untill all hours of the night, is then off sick and then loses their job due to the actions of their neighbour?

What happens when someone is unable to pay their mortgage. A hard working person is kept up untill all hours of the night, is then off sick and then loses their job due to the actions of their neighbour?
Well you could draw a "what if" scenario out of anything if you like. That doesn't mean its correct.

What if the noise drove the neighbour to increase his own noise so he himself became a noisy neighbour and his next door neighbour happened to be a war veteren who had a massive flashback (because the first neighbour watched The Expendables at high volume) and then went and slaughtered 49 people in McDonalds? Could you live with that blood on your hands?!

While I agree that stopping benefits may be a short term answer I don't think it will erase the problem. At best it moves it elsewhere

I know someone who claimed / suggested he used an old PC fan and PSU, then attached some wire to the fan and pushed it up close to the plumbing, then went out for a few hours.

Another suggestion someone gave me was to use one of those high pitch noise things used to annoy teens outside shops. Or to generate white noise and blast them with that.

Suffice to say I didn't use any of those tricks and neither should you because two wrongs don't make a right!

How would you deal with the problem?

Society's low lives cause misery for others - should we just let that continue because it's too hard to Police or resolve?

I'm not sure how I would deal with the problem, I've never really lived in a "low life" area.

You can't beat respect into "low life's" it just doesn't work. Respect is a generational thing...you're raised with it, or not as the case may be. You have to ask yourself why certain sections of society have no respect, rather than go in with the club/boot mentality. Respect isn't a simple thing you can just acquire because someone says, in the same way you can't request that someone be intelligent. Ironically people who cause problems probably also like to live in reasonable areas, they just don't have the mental capacity to take their neighbours into consideration. The problem with removing benefits are, you attack innocents at the same time...children, infants etc.

Short term would be to create ghettos. Long term would be education and employment.

There is another wishy washy alternative and that would be how you apply benefit which takes everyone into account. Monetary benefit for up to 2yrs, after that your on stamps and or tokens...but that still doesn't instil respect. Respect is a simple concept to most but you have to understand it to put it into effect.

I'm not sure how I would deal with the problem, I've never really lived in a "low life" area.

You can't beat respect into "low life's" it just doesn't work. Respect is a generational thing...you're raised with it, or not as the case may be. You have to ask yourself why certain sections of society have no respect, rather than go in with the club/boot mentality. Respect isn't a simple thing you can just acquire because someone says, in the same way you can't request that someone be intelligent. Ironically people who cause problems probably also like to live in reasonable areas, they just don't have the mental capacity to take their neighbours into consideration. The problem with removing benefits are, you attack innocents at the same time...children, infants etc.

Short term would be to create ghettos. Long term would be education and employment.

There is another wishy washy alternative and that would be how you apply benefit which takes everyone into account. Monetary benefit for up to 2yrs, after that your on stamps and or tokens...but that still doesn't instil respect. Respect is a simple concept to most but you have to understand it to put it into effect.

true, true. the unfortunate thing is it might be a little late for a whole generation( barring some really unpalatable 'solutions') but the only real solution is education in civil responsibility, individual responsibility etc.

Archived