Anti-Social tennants - time to stop their benefits? soon solve the problem

There is another wishy washy alternative and that would be how you apply benefit which takes everyone into account. Monetary benefit for up to 2yrs, after that your on stamps and or tokens...but that still doesn't instil respect. Respect is a simple concept to most but you have to understand it to put it into effect.
Respect is something that will be part of an individual's value system by the time they are 10, from parenting or schooling influences.

Once adults are created without respect for others, they are lost and almost irreperable - of no value to society, and worthy of no respect or sympathy in return.

Respect is something that will be part of an individual's value system by the time they are 10, from parenting or schooling influences.

Once adults are created without respect for others, they are lost and almost irreperable - of no value to society, and worthy of no respect or sympathy in return.

I'm not sure of that conrod, because your'e instilling the same values you're arguing against. As an example if you raise your children without respectful values who's to blame? You or your child? Respect goes well beyond 10. How many parents who love, care and do the best for their children still feel though their children treat them with disrespect at some time or other? Even as adults we still have to work at respect through acknowledging that we are not the only ones of any value, and that's what respect is...acknowledging others, be it 10 or 60. Most who have zero respect for others I would bet have zero respect for themselves, and why should they, they don't understand the concept...that's the sadness although it doesn't rectify the op's problem

the concept of 'respect' is fluid though and there in lies the problem. it ranges from 'if I'm playing loud music in my house, not yours, I'm right' to the other spectrum of 'if you can hear my music then I'm wrong'. there are a great many other examples. where people of similar backgrounds etc are put together these 'respect' problems are minimal. in some estates there's loud music all the time yet a lot of people do it so it's not such an issue. but, then again, i think, herding 'similar' people into the same places is a recipe for disaster.

ps-i do realize this is not a suggestion of a solution, rather just an observation.

OK, before people scream "an attack on benefit claimants/what about their rights" etc....

I know not all anti social behavior is caused by people on benefits, however drunken and late night noise and drunken behavior is often caused by people who don't have to 'get up and do a days work'. The people create massive problems for their neighbours who 'do have to get out of bed for work',

NOw quite often, these people are given ASBOs and never ending warnings by the police, and these smug layabout simply **** a snoot at the law, and make their neighbours lives hell.

Here is my solution to anti social behavior caused by people on benefits

1) A warning - give them a chance to change

2) If this fails - stop their benefit for 3 weeks. This should rattle their cage.

3) If this fails again - Stop their money for 6 months. You can bet your bottom dollar these anti social tennents would soon get a job, and as they would then have a job to get up for, they would no longer need to be making a noise until 3am in the morning.

Draconian??? yes it is, however its time rough justice was metered out to those who deserve it

It wouldn't solve anything, they would probably just steal to make ends meet. If you evict them, society still has to deal with the problem; they might even come and squat in your house.

I'm not sure how I would deal with the problem, I've never really lived in a "low life" area..

Anti social behaviour isn't limited to 'low life' areas as you put it. Our son had a problem with it when he rented a house in Altrincham, a fairly upmarket area in Cheshire. The young man next door had no consideration for his neighbours, and came in at all hours then put his music on loudly. The local council moved fairly quickly and issued a warning, and our son moved at the end of his tenancy.

We had a problem when we moved here, again with loud music. I'm pleased to say it didn't last too long, and we are quite happy in our home. The surrounding homes on the street are mainly well kept, the neighbours are pleasant, yet we had one teenager who who spoilt it for many of us. How did it resolve itself - he grew up, got a job, and stopped acting like a prat.

Although anti social behaviour tends to be more prevalent in areas of deprivation, we could all be affected, wherever we live.

Anti social behaviour isn't limited to 'low life' areas as you put it. Our son had a problem with it when he rented a house in Altrincham, a fairly upmarket area in Cheshire. The young man next door had no consideration for his neighbours, and came in at all hours then put his music on loudly. The local council moved fairly quickly and issued a warning, and our son moved at the end of his tenancy.

We had a problem when we moved here, again with loud music. I'm pleased to say it didn't last too long, and we are quite happy in our home. The surrounding homes on the street are mainly well kept, the neighbours are pleasant, yet we had one teenager who who spoilt it for many of us. How did it resolve itself - he grew up, got a job, and stopped acting like a prat.

Although anti social behaviour tends to be more prevalent in areas of deprivation, we could all be affected, wherever we live.

The moral being, "Do unto your Neighbours ....."

Archived