Police call to legalise brothels.

After the Crossbow Cannibal murders of those poor women, is it time to recognise that the law places vulnerable women in danger?

I'm not talking about suburban brothels, they could be in business parks, next to Homebase or something.

As it stands our outdated and puritanical laws are making working girls' lives more dangerous.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23910182-call-to-reform-prostitution-laws.do

I quite agree. When women have tried in the past to establish safe, pimp-free premises from which to work from they have fallen foul of the law.

Anything which helps them off the streets is worth considering.

If you share a house with a working girl and she pays the milkman you can get done for living off immoral earnings.

Crazy.

The most vulnerable women are forced into street walking and at risk from nutjobs, I think something like forty women have been killed in the last ten years. Maybe more.

In Amsterdam the women aren't trafficked, they can earn 3 or 4 thousand euros a week in safe, controlled circumstances.

Like the war on drugs, a war against male libidos cannot be won.

a couple of strategically applied half bricks would dampen most male libidos :)

alternatively, decriminlising certain aspects of prostitution would probably be a good idea, along with increased efforts and punishments against people traffickers and other related low lifes.

The amount of women trafficked into prostitution is a matter of dispute.

Of course after the cops raid a brothel they like to claim they've rescued women from people trafficking and enforced prostitution. It isn't always true.

For years ministers have insisted that thousands of women are being smuggled into Britain and forced into prostitution. But when police staged a multi-million pound operation to smash the gangs, how many traffickers did they find?

Not one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1227418/SPECIAL-INVESTIGATION-The-myth-Britains-foreign-sex-slaves.html#ixzz19Othg4eq

If you share a house with a working girl and she pays the milkman you can get done for living off immoral earnings.

Crazy.

The most vulnerable women are forced into street walking and at risk from nutjobs, I think something like forty women have been killed in the last ten years. Maybe more.

In Amsterdam the women aren't trafficked, they can earn 3 or 4 thousand euros a week in safe, controlled circumstances.

Trafficking is a major problem in Amsterdam, a few years ago almost a third of the "windows" were shut due to trafficking concerns. I do believe that the legalisation has helped the Dutch authorities fight the trafficking problems, but the notoriety of Amsterdam's red light area only attracts more trafficking into Amsterdam.

That was Amsterdam's mayor's initiative. There is little hard evidence that many women were trafficked.

Not knowing the ins and outs of Amsterdam Politics, I have to rely upon the press which suggested that the initiative was supported by the Mayor and not initiated by him, interestingly a quick search does reveal that a new campaign against trafficking was launched in Amsterdam this month.

I do believe that it's the touristy nature of Amsterdam's red light area that attracts the problem, not the openness of the laws; and as I said earlier the openness of the laws do certainly help the Dutch authorities combat the problem.

I quite agree. When women have tried in the past to establish safe, pimp-free premises from which to work from they have fallen foul of the law.

Anything which helps them off the streets is worth considering.

Not that I want to go (quite the opposite), but it makes reasonable sense to me when everything is considered!

Archived