Police call to legalise brothels.

It's a difficult one. I think legalisation in the long run will offer the most protection to prostitutes, but I have been to places in Germany where it is legalised and I've got to say it turned some areas of their towns in to seedy back streets which I didn't feel at all comfortable walking along.

I suppose it is a good idea, so long as it is in the right place and not near me!

at the moment, and it's been that way for a while now, brothels that cause no 'trouble' have been more or less left alone. police get involved if word of hard drugs, trafficking, violence or the like comes up. but otherwise they leave them be. i think legalizing it would bring it all out in the open, make the government money, give the working girls unions and workers' rights etc and make the police's job less tricky.

The police should have no business calling for things to be legalised or criminalised.

Why not? Who other? Politicians? What experience do they have of prostitution?

On second thoughts....:suspect:

Based on his experience Deputy Chief Constable Simon Byrne was asking for a debate. Can't think of anyone more qualified to make that statement considering the feedback he gets from his officers on the ground.

The police should have no business calling for things to be legalised or criminalised.

if the costs enforcing the prostitution laws outweigh the costs of allowing some aspects of it to be decriminalised then I think they should be able to open the debate and then leave it to the rest of us to decide

After the Crossbow Cannibal murders of those poor women, is it time to recognise that the law places vulnerable women in danger?

I'm not talking about suburban brothels, they could be in business parks, next to Homebase or something.

As it stands our outdated and puritanical laws are making working girls' lives more dangerous.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23910182-call-to-reform-prostitution-laws.do

Fascinating, all these people calling for the legalisation of pimping. For the daughters of others, of course...

Archived