Need a car, but no interest in cars.

mart

Dear forum members, what would you do in this situation?.

I’ve always owned a car, and want to continue. However, I have virtually no interest in cars at all, but I need want one & need one. I do less than 8K miles per year. Reliability is a must.

I have owned my current car for 18 years from new. it’s a (K10) 1.2 Micra. It still runs well but the blown head gasket means that if it is left for more than a day, there will be difficulties getting it started. The car’s value is less than £300. A new head gasket will be over this amount with labour & pressure testing etc.

If I do nothing, I will soon be off the road and car-less.

So far I have thought of the following:

Have another engine fitted in the Micra (assuming I can find one in the breakers

Buy a new 1.2 Hyundai

Buy a new Yaris

Buy a new Jaz

Buy a used car & face potential problems at some point. (The only second hand one that appeals is the SEL Passat 2.0)

Where am I going wrong in my thinking?

why are you worried about spending £300 ish on getting your old car right ? IF the car lasts another two years this means that you will get cheap motoring for £12.50 a month.

If you buy a new car then you will loose thousands as soon as it is owned by you and not new any longer.

If the car is otherwise sound it would be an excellent investment to get the gasket fixed.

Yes, that is a valid point MC. The car is otherwise very good. It is getting difficult to get parts from the breakers now, so that is in the back of my mind too. Last year I drove to a scrap yard in York for a seat belt to get the car through the MOT.(Nissan wanted £150 for a seat belt) I would like to see other ideas to help me be rational about all this. Keep them coming please. Thanks MC.

Archived