Washing machine with only one water pipe..

EEC directive I think.

Not an EEC directive. People on the continent have always had washing machines that only take cold water. It costs manufacturers more to have a separate model for the UK that can use hot water as well and they need to have a heater anyway in case the hot water feed is not hot enough for the hottest wash.

It's just manufacturers simplifying their product lines.

I have just taken delivery of my new washing machine and it only has one water inlet connection, (cold water)..is this normal.?

i thought every washing machine had a hot and cold, surely it is more economical to take the hot water from the boiler instead of an internal filament warming it up :suspect:

I had the same surprise when I replaced my old washing machine this year. Apparently this is normal for continental washing machines, and has been quietly rolling out here.

I agree it's daft.

I had the same surprise when I replaced my old washing machine this year. Apparently this is normal for continental washing machines, and has been quietly rolling out here.

I agree it's daft.

It's not daft at all. It's much easier and much more efficient to heat the cold water the once rather than heating hot water only for it to be brought down to a lower temperature for certain washes. Just get the amount of water you want and heat as necessarry. Would you put the emmersion heater/boiler on for a cup of tea or would you put cold water in and let the kettle do it?

The reason for a cold pipe only is if you want a cool wash for delicates, the water from the hot tap will be too hot. So use cold water and warm it up to the required temperature.

I agree with this as there is the possibility that some domestic hot water feeds could actually be close to boiling, especially if tapped off an Aga or the like.

I agree with this as there is the possibility that some domestic hot water feeds could actually be close to boiling, especially if tapped off an Aga or the like.

Thanks. I had a friend who did W/M repairs for Coles, he still does, and this is a long time ago now but he was telling me about this very irate customer who couldn't do a cool wash and she was threatening all sorts of court action, you know how people go off, and everyone he worked with was baffled as they couldn't find anything wrong with the machine, anyway they changed it and that was still the same and eventually the penny dropped and that is why they only have a cold water inlet now. It must have become a widespread problem.

Added, to say that prevention of legionella disease requires that hot water in the taps is above 60 degrees centigrade so you can see the problem if you want to do a 30 or 40 degree wash.

:)

Archived