I payed cash for a mobile phone and lost receipt please help

hi all,

i have recently bought a mobile phone from a trading shop in town, it was less than 28 days ago and is faulty however i have lost the receipt. it has clearly being purchased from the store as it still has all there stickers on the box, but they say they know it has being purchased from them but need a receipt to prove it was ME that bought it from them and knowone else :confused:. i am not wanting my money back just an exchange or a repair, do i have any rights to this or am i stuck??

any advice would be apreciated

many thanks

Ring the manufacturer if its pay as you go or service provider if its a contract phone because on PAYG you have manufacturers warranty whereas if you have a contract phone they are generally given to stores by service provider

Ring the manufacturer if its pay as you go or service provider if its a contract phone because on PAYG you have manufacturers warranty whereas if you have a contract phone they are generally given to stores by service provider

Your contract is with the store it was purchased from, regardless of what type of contract it is. Whilst labels on the box should be sufficient from a proof of purchase point of view, they don't tell when it was purchased.

What type of store was it you purchased from - a big chain one or an independent?

The big chains are much more likely to have a scanned record of when the phone was purchased via the serial number.

edit: having read the OP, a 'trading shop' is I'm guessing one of the market style shops. You'll probably struggle more but it may still be possible - when was the phone model released? Was it brand new or second hand?

Your contract is with the store it was purchased from, regardless of what type of contract it is. Whilst labels on the box should be sufficient from a proof of purchase point of view, they don't tell when it was purchased.

What type of store was it you purchased from - a big chain one or an independent?

The big chains are much more likely to have a scanned record of when the phone was purchased via the serial number.

edit: having read the OP, a 'trading shop' is I'm guessing one of the market style shops. You'll probably struggle more but it may still be possible - when was the phone model released? Was it brand new or second hand?

If you have contract phone it is same as if you get free or reduced price laptop that you pay contract for they are supplied free or at vastly reduced price by manufacturer and your contract is with them and they have get out clause. The store would scan bar code but that would be the same on all the identical products whether you bought it that store or a different retailer, bar codes identify that range not individual items, they don't scan the serial number - thats normally inside the phone. OP paid cash and does not have receipt. Manufacturer or service provider is best bet

Archived