1 parent familys

Anyone who doesnt do right by their kids is a tool.

Tell your kids your X is a tool and they are better off without them.

A bit of honesty is always a good thing.

Being a "tool" isn't defined by buying Christmas presents or not. The OP really hasn't given any relevant info on the partner other than - no xmas presents -to come to that conclusion.

To the op. More info might be helpful.

I am not a 1 parent family but a step parent. My husbands kids live with us as their mum has mental health issues. They went up yesterday with their Xmas money as they were meeting mum for late lunch & going shopping. Dad gave them a tenner to cover theirs (as is the norm) but on top of this their mum has 'borrowed' £15 of my stepdaughters xmas money. I am absolutely furious as past experience shows she is not very likely to get this back. She hasn't given them anything yet as she was unable to get her money out of the bank before xmas. I can put up with this, even the kids arent expecting anything but am furious about her taking this money.

Guilt trips, don't ban them, half of them want to be banned because it gives them an excuse and the moral high ground (no matter how illegitimate).

Or, thank them for the presents, if they say "oh no matter" then you've got them bang to rights for lying, or if they come clean then they'll have been made aware, but you must also wonder who might have sent them then, ask them if they think one of their mates sent the card with cash in because they knew you wouldn't, they then get para that their being judged by their mates...

I suppose it depends on how much they are paying in CSA payments. If everything they have is going in CSA payments (up to 40% of the take home wage) they might find it very hard to save any money to buy presents though you would expect them to give a token present or treat.

As for borrowing money that is dreadful!

Archived