Odeon Cinema - Strongly recommend against

FallenAngel6

Guest makapaka
There used to be a little cinema underneath the 'Fiesta'. I think Odeon took this screen on as one of their own in the re-development. Could be the one the OP is on about.

At the end of the day Odeon has 3 big screens and 7 little screens. If they weren't making money they would shut. Big screens are at VUE and Cineworld, but maybe there are some families out there who prefer the small screens. Less daunting for some kids, maybe some old folk prefer it as well (less crowd, better view of screen). Bottom line is the place is still there so if you don't like it go somewhere else, as there are others who seem to like what you hate about it.

Its an old cinema. Its like going to an old football ground and moaning the seats aren't as good as Old Trafford.

There's nothing horrendously sub-standard about it, its just that you can get better elsewhere these days. Its the only mainstream cinema left in town so I wouldn;t like to see it close.

There used to be a little cinema underneath the 'Fiesta'. I think Odeon took this screen on as one of their own in the re-development. Could be the one the OP is on about.

At the end of the day Odeon has 3 big screens and 7 little screens. If they weren't making money they would shut. Big screens are at VUE and Cineworld, but maybe there are some families out there who prefer the small screens. Less daunting for some kids, maybe some old folk prefer it as well (less crowd, better view of screen). Bottom line is the place is still there so if you don't like it go somewhere else, as there are others who seem to like what you hate about it.

Yes, the little cinema was the Cinecenta (2 screens?) which I do believe became part of the current Odeon complex. The Cinecenta had the illuminated 'moving film' sign outside (when it actually worked it looked great!) which I always remember well from when I was little. I think the Cinecenta became a Cannon cinema in its final days before the Odeon surfaced in the current location.

Please correct me if Im wrong anyone!

Sh2006.

I'm just glad it's still there. Yes it's very dated, barely fit for purpose now and is a shockingly ugly building set in a ghastly concrete landscape. But I love having a mainstream cinema in the city centre, I can't stand the out of town places, so I still go there sometimes. Though I'd go more often if it was upgraded.

I'd like to see the Odeon replaced by a modern top quality city centre cinema on the same site or very near it. The location (next to the theatres and not far from the Showroom, train and bus stations) is great, but I bet a lot of visitors don't even notice it's there.

Archived