ConDems rocked as support for coalition falls dramatically

Are you seeing a trend in the last six months of polls?

Many psephologists are.

If anything there is a rise in support for Labour and a crash in that for the Lib Dem, however Conservative support has hardly changed over the period.

Support for the conservatives was at around 42% before the election and is hovering around the 40% mark now. Labour appears to be the biggest winner but the problem there is we are not due an election for a long time.

If you think that if the Lib Dems do badly in the council elections next year that will cause them to ditch their only chance of reaping the political rewards of the cuts and the country's subsequent rise to prosperity come 2015. I think you are mistaken.

Your post exemplifies much of what is good on this forum, Ruby D.

I joined the forum to learn about Sheffield. I learnt a lot [and some of it scared the crap out of me.] Having found the information I was looking for, I want int hibernation (well, it's a familial habit ;)) but I woke early and came back for the fun.

Going 'Off Topic' (Mini Cooper, Mini Cooper, Mini Maxima Cooper) but:

(A) Politics should perhaps be confined to one particular section of the forum (I agree with you there) but that section shouldn't be on a marble pedestal. Politics is a deceit practiced by people called politicians. There is nothing honourable about politicians. By all means banish politics to a sub-section of the forum.

(In my first career, there were two subjects which were forbidden in social discussion: Politics and religion.) I'm prepared to discuss either ... but I don't do so socially.

(B) Indeed. If we could confine political discussion to a nominated section of the forum, we might manage to be more friendly towards one another in the remainder. - What's wrong with having a section of the forum ordinarily reserved for 'polite small talk'?

In my day-to-day life I talk to all sorts of people about all sorts of things. Most of what I say is inconsequential. (I'm retired and nobody has to give a damn about anything I say any more.) The majority of those conversations are pleasing to both parties, because 'conversation' is a routine, ordinary and necessary part of human life.

At times, some people on this forum (and I'm a culprit, too) seem to be trying to use it to score points off others.

I enjoy arguing. I'm quite prepared to take either side in any argument (and I'll gladly change sides if it will keep the argument going a bit longer.)

There's nothing wrong with arguing, provided that all parties are aware of the rules.

I have very thick skin. And sharp teeth. I enjoy arguing.

But I'm also a social animal and I'm acutely aware that some of my responses to (particularly new) posters on this forum have been (in accordance with the social standards I was brought up to adhere to) 'rather less than socially acceptable'.

It's not always easy. We don't talk to one another face-to-face (and should we do so, I suspect that most of us would be exemplarily polite to one another) but given that the forum is so loosely arranged, there are no clear boundaries.

I do indeed know where to find the admin desk and the mods will find this post.

I'd like to see an 'anything goes' [obscenities, libel and contempt of court excepted] area, and I would like to see a 'general chat' area in addition to the present forum format.

I suggest that defined areas might attract more users - or rather might dissuade some of the 'newbies' from leaving.

© I don't suffer fools gladly,

I remember that day well. It was a really hot summer day in 1981. I was sitting on a promotion board considering 200 people for promotion. If I'd had a pound for every time I read the phrase: '(S)he does not suffer fools gladly' I would have quit and gone off on holiday.

Do you know, or do you know ANYBODY who 'suffers fools gladly'? I don't.

Yeah, right ... is that a sort of Lib-Dem overseas group? - After all, 'Buggers can't be Losers', can they?

WOW

What strength is the beer over there.

Sheer and utter tosh.

If anything there is a rise in support for Labour and a crash in that for the Lib Dem, however Conservative support has hardly changed over the period.

Support for the conservatives was at around 42% before the election and is hovering around the 40% mark now. Labour appears to be the biggest winner but the problem there is we are not due an election for a long time.

If you think that if the Lib Dems do badly in the council elections next year that will cause them to ditch their only chance of reaping the political rewards of the cuts and the country's subsequent rise to prosperity come 2015. I think you are mistaken.

But many Lib Dem MP's may decide that their best hope of electoral salvation is to cut their links with the Cons completely. Also they know that some of the electorate have long memories, look how they denied the Cons a majority at the election. Will people ever vote Lib Dem again if they associate them with a coaltion which wrecks the Health service and other public services?

But many Lib Dem MP's may decide that their best hope of electoral salvation is to cut their links with the Cons completely. Also they know that some of the electorate have long memories, look how they denied the Cons a majority at the election. Will people ever vote Lib Dem again if they associate them with a coaltion which wrecks the Health service and other public services?

and the beers going up by 5p a pint.....surely they can find more cutbacks and leave the ale alone....

Yep beer UP again.:shakes:

yes it will make it £2.30 a pint...so a session will cost an extra 50p....i need to make my own cutbacks....so i'll save the money on my betting on the horses...

in future instead of a lucky 15 in £1s....i'll have it in 75p...thus saving £3.75p..

before i was spending £37.50 every day.....now its only costing £34.25...to go out...a saving of £3.25p

so from now on everytime i do the aleshop i'm saving over £3....

easty for chancellor...happy days

yes it will make it £2.30 a pint...so a session will cost an extra 50p....i need to make my own cutbacks....so i'll save the money on my betting on the horses...

in future instead of a lucky 15 in £1s....i'll have it in 75p...thus saving £3.75p..

before i was spending £37.50 every day.....now its only costing £34.25...to go out...a saving of £3.25p

so from now on everytime i do the aleshop i'm saving over £3....

easty for chancellor...happy days

Only £2.30 a pint? that's not bad between £2.80 and £3 in the boozers I frequent.

I agree the electorate was not fully convinced by the prospect of a conservative government, this is why we ended up with a coalition. However I fail to see how the Lib Dems can do anything other then hold on and see their policies through, it is a gamble but one that will pay off if their policies are a success. The prospect of abandoning what they have set out would put them in an even worse situation. I can see the fear in labour as they are already out in the cold and not part of the political chatter which is at present being carried out by between the conservatives and the lib dems. Couple that with an ineffective leader that did not have the backing of the party at large and Labour are in a bad place right now.

Labour should have elected the other brother if they wanted to have a fighting chance of challenging the coalition.

A new poll for The Guardian shows that support for the ConDem coaltion has fallen from 59% in May to just 43% now. The only people who remain enthusiastic are Tory voters, 76% of whom still back the coalition.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/dec/26/coalition-government-support-dramatically-down

I wouldn't worry about it mate. It only seems to be of concern to a bunch of lefties who didn't vote for either party in the first place.

The last opinion poll I looked at had the Tories above what they polled in the election, so they probably aren't that bothered. Lib/Dem voters have actually got their pary in a position where they are sharing power and exerting influence on government policy for the first time in decades. So what more do they want?

The government won't be too concerned about polls this far from an election. They probably planned to get the unpopular stuff outof the way so that they can face the country with a rising economy. Elections are the only time that polls matter.

It seems that Labour are the ones most worried by the polls, because apart from a load of shouting there isn't much they can do until the next election, and if that is called by the coalition at a moment when their polls are in the accendancy Labour may well find their share of the vote falls even lower than the 29% they got last time.

Archived