Boardman Plate Ltd / Leppington Cutlers, Sheffield

Eric71

Hi,

I am trying to trace the manufacturer of my staghorn carving set in stainless steel, made by Boardman Plate Ltd, Sheffield. Very difficult to find anything at all on the web, but Boardman seem to have been acquired by Leppington (Cutlass?) in the early 60s, but what then happened to Leppington?

Any leads greatly appreciated!

/Eric in Stockholm, Sweden

I worked for Boardman Plate Ltd (an independent business - not owned by Leppingtons) at the Enterprise Works, St Marys Road and the old man retired, leaving the firm to his son, Jack Boardman (husband of Mary Gentle who had the chip shop/cafe on Howard Street).

Jack decided he didn't want to run the Grinding shop, where I worked so I rented the grinding shop from him, became self employed and continued to employ the women who worked there.

Jack didn't continue with the firm for very long so Boardman Plate eventually closed.

Sorry, but I wouldn't think there is anyone who can tell you more about the firm now.

Hi,

I am trying to trace the manufacturer of my staghorn carving set in stainless steel, made by Boardman Plate Ltd, Sheffield. Very difficult to find anything at all on the web, but Boardman seem to have been acquired by Leppington (Cutlass?) in the early 60s, but what then happened to Leppington?

Any leads greatly appreciated!

/Eric in Stockholm, Sweden

Leppingtons was bought out by George Butler who in turn was owned by several different companys which wasnt good for Butlers, the final take over was by Arthur Price of England which was a killer for Butlers whos name meant quality. Prices retained the Butler name and now operate from No 12 Orgreave Drive Sheffield BUT I know for a fact that not one person there will know about Boardman Plate, you may have better luck going on http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk to learn about Boardmans.

Thanks for the reply,

When do you reckon Boardman finally closed the firm/factory? I am guessing my carving set is from the late 50s but would be nice with a better estimate. It has never been used and its in its original hard box with Boardman Plate engraved on it, so would like to know if its good quality and what it might be worth? Was it a well known brand?

Eric

Thanks for the reply,

When do you reckon Boardman finally closed the firm/factory? I am guessing my carving set is from the late 50s but would be nice with a better estimate. It has never been used and its in its original hard box with Boardman Plate engraved on it, so would like to know if its good quality and what it might be worth? Was it a well known brand?

Eric

Im sorry but I dont know anything about Boardmans BUT I can say with confidence that you carving Fork may have passed through my hands during its manufacture as I worked at a company whos main product was carver forks and I did work for a time in the Enterprise Works that has already been mentioned. I doubt as to wether your set has great value probably £40 or £50 Im afraid. I wish I could help you more

Thanks for the reply,

Eric

I think around 1962 so early/mid 50's is probably a good guess for your carving set.

The quality should be better than most stuff you could buy today but probably not absolutely top notch - towards the end of the 50's, Boardmans were doing work almost totally for an Irish company (can't remember the name) but the stuff was almost exclusively "slipper neck" and knocked out as fast as possible.

I still envy you your purchase - don't know where anyone could pick up something like that today, even here in Sheffield.

Coincidentally, although it's not relevant to your query, I worked at Leppingtons not long before moving to Boardman Plate.

I think around 1962 so early/mid 50's is probably a good guess for your carving set.

The quality should be better than most stuff you could buy today but probably not absolutely top notch - towards the end of the 50's, Boardmans were doing work almost totally for an Irish company (can't remember the name) but the stuff was almost exclusively "slipper neck" and knocked out as fast as possible.

I still envy you your purchase - don't know where anyone could pick up something like that today, even here in Sheffield.

Coincidentally, although it's not relevant to your query, I worked at Leppingtons not long before moving to Boardman Plate.

Was the Irish company Oneida? I worked at Butlers for 23 years

Was the Irish company Oneida? I worked at Butlers for 23 years

That name rings a bell so it may well have been them.

Wondered if you knew Ted Glaves in Leppington's grinding shop?

Another guy in there was little Harry (big horse racing fan).

Was Mrs Moore one of the bosses at Butlers during your time there?

That name rings a bell so it may well have been them.

Wondered if you knew Ted Glaves in Leppington's grinding shop?

Another guy in there was little Harry (big horse racing fan).

Was Mrs Moore one of the bosses at Butlers during your time there?

They had all gone by the time I worked there in the early seventies.

Archived