Ooops, didnt realise it was a £20 note..

When you hand over the note Deano, say at the top of your voice '£20' and wave it in the air like the sales assistants sometimes do when they take a note from you you before giving you your change.

Why not say at the top of your voice '£50'?

How many would try to give you change from a tenner then?

I've worked in pubs and shops and its easy to make a mistake when its busy. There should be some kind of system in place like leaving the note on top of the till, or putting it in sideways so the staff know which one they took if there is a dispute. I was always wary of customers taking advantage of the fact that you are busy and lying to get money out of you. Once I worked in a shop and a customer swore I had given them the wrong change when I knew it was a £10 note they'd given me. Fortunately I knew it was the last note I'd put it the little safe under the till, so I just got the manager to come along and open it to prove I was right.

Once I worked in a shop and a customer swore I had given them the wrong change when I knew it was a £10 note they'd given me. Fortunately I knew it was the last note I'd put it the little safe under the till, so I just got the manager to come along and open it to prove I was right.

I've been accused of only giving change from a tenner when they gave me a twenty. Despite the manager coming over and opening the till drawer and showing there were no twenty pound notes in the drawer she still wouldn't shut up. Apparently she had just been to the cash machine and got £30 pounds out, upon checking her purse she had a £20 but no £10, still not enough proof for her.

Ended up coming in the next morning and demanding to see the CCTV and transactions and caused an almight load of fuss, just from not willing to accept she'd made a mistake. She never got her additional change, which was being considered as a good-will gesture, but she was just too rude to everyone.

Archived