Joanna Yeates' murder - man charged

I do like the way the media have managed to manipulate this one. What the police actually said was:

Ch Supt John Stratford, of Avon and Somerset Police, said patrols would be maintained to reassure the public.

Mr Stratford said: "I can understand why the public in the local and wider Bristol area have concerns for their safety at the current time. Whoever killed Joanna remains at large.

"However, I want to reassure the public that at this time there is no specific intelligence or information to suggest an increased threat to their safety.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12105327

Ch Supt John Stratford, of Avon and Somerset Police, said patrols would be maintained to reassure the public.

Mr Stratford said: "I can understand why the public in the local and wider Bristol area have concerns for their safety at the current time. Whoever killed Joanna remains at large.

"However, I want to reassure the public that at this time there is no specific intelligence or information to suggest an increased threat to their safety.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12105327

What I meant was, they've quoted "Lone women should avoid walking home alone after dark and householders should keep their premises secure and take care when answering the door to strangers" as a headline, omitting the context "Naturally we ask the public to continue to take the usual safety precautions".

The "at large" thing is rather odd. They have arrested the landlord on suspicion of murder, then bailed him, then said the murderer remains "at large". Well clearly on police bail is not "at large" so I can only infer that they no longer consider him a murder suspect, so it would have been only reasonable of them to make that explicitly clear given all the negative attention he has had as a result of his arrest.

Perhaps the early view that a small rural force was capable of dealing with this was not entirely well founded.

The "at large" thing is rather odd. They have arrested the landlord on suspicion of murder, then bailed him, then said the murderer remains "at large". Well clearly on police bail is not "at large" so I can only infer that they no longer consider him a murder suspect, so it would have been only reasonable of them to make that explicitly clear given all the negative attention he has had as a result of his arrest.

Perhaps the early view that a small rural force was capable of dealing with this was not entirely well founded.

Isn't the suspect technically "at large" though as he's free to move around (unless his bail conditions prevent this, or he is being watched).

Whatever it is, let's hope the perpetrator is caught and convicted quickly.

Isn't the suspect technically "at large" though as he's free to move around (unless his bail conditions prevent this, or he is being watched).

Whatever it is, let's hope the perpetrator is caught and convicted quickly.

No, at large means they are on the run in the case of an escapee or evading justice in terms of a suspect or persons unknown. Someone who has been bailed and complies with their bail conditions is not "at large" which either means the spokesman messed up big time or this guy is no longer a suspect.

As to the second, I fully agree. Young lass with her life ahead of her, whoever did it needs catching and quickly.

No, at large means they are on the run in the case of an escapee or evading justice in terms of a suspect or persons unknown. Someone who has been bailed and complies with their bail conditions is not "at large" which either means the spokesman messed up big time or this guy is no longer a suspect.

As to the second, I fully agree. Young lass with her life ahead of her, whoever did it needs catching and quickly.

I would actually define 'at large' as meaning 'within the community'. The police have no suspect for this crime in custody, therefore a murderer is 'at large'. I don't think we can construe any further meaning from it.

Edit: In fact, the legal dictionary defines it as 'free from confinement', so it does mean just that.

Archived