Joanna Yeates' murder - man charged

Technically, perhaps true, but in practice a pointless definition. Nobody refers to an innocent person being at large.

Of course not. I was merely differentiating it from andygardener's definition which stated the person would be actively on the run, i.e. a fugitive.

I would actually define 'at large' as meaning 'within the community'. The police have no suspect for this crime in custody, therefore a murderer is 'at large'. I don't think we can construe any further meaning from it.

Edit: In fact, the legal dictionary defines it as 'free from confinement', so it does mean just that.

The police statement today was so equivocal and vague that it probably only succeeded in confusing the public further rather than reassuring them. The message was so unclear that it forced observers to reach for their dictionaries to find the legal definition of the term 'at large' and also to engage in textual exegesis of the statement. It might have been better for the police to have said nothing at this stage.

The police statement today was so equivocal and vague that it probably only succeeded in confusing the public further rather than reassuring them. The message was so unclear that it forced observers to reach for their dictionaries to find the legal definition of the term 'at large' and also to engage in textual exegesis of the statement. It might have been better for the police to have said nothing at this stage.

That's the gist what i meant to say but you said it much better.

Thanks for clarifying :)

It has been reported that the police did not search local bins looking for the missing pizza box when they had opportunities to do so (i.e. before they were emptied, which was around four days after the investigation started). Now apparently they are searching through over 200 tons of rubbish at landfill sites. If this is indeed true and if the case is never solved, it will probably be regarded as a monumental blunder on the part of the police.

What a wonderful thing hindsight is. I should have been a detective.

Whats disturbing about the news footage and police advice is that by advising lone women not to go home on their own they are really confusing people - how many women from that area will in the name of safety now accept a lift or accompaniment home from their 'friendly' landlord or mate from the local pub or local taxi driver, when all along its been said that Yeates* was killed by someone she knew?

* do not like all this 'Jo' stuff either, I didn't know her and neither did any of the journalists..

If the gentleman is innocent i.e. they catch the person and they have the necessary evidence, not circumstantial, then has the poor guys life been completely destroyed by both the Police and the Press ??

I didn't get a response to this post, come on please what do you think !

How I wonder is the guy feeling and will we get an apology from the Police for what has been described by one of our long established posters as a monumental blunder !

How I wonder is the guy feeling and will we get an apology from the Police for what has been described by one of our long established posters as a monumental blunder !

Wasn't he talking about the pizza box?

The fault lies with the media, not with the police. Although he deserved to be arrested just for the monumental combover if nowt else! The media are too looselips. They should maybe stop trying to be judge and jury and influence public opinion.

We're quite capable of generating our own furore, thanks :)

He shouldn't get an apology from the police if his arrest was lawful, it is their responsibility to arrest and interview anyone they have reason to suspect.

The media are the ones that engaged in a public character assassination and are the ones that should be held responsible for the ongoing affect this will have.

Having said that, nobody can be held accountable for anything until a trial is complete.

Archived