Joanna Yeates' murder - man charged

Wasn't he talking about the pizza box?

The fault lies with the media, not with the police. Although he deserved to be arrested just for the monumental combover if nowt else! The media are too looselips. They should maybe stop trying to be judge and jury and influence public opinion.

We're quite capable of generating our own furore, thanks :)

He shouldn't get an apology from the police if his arrest was lawful, it is their responsibility to arrest and interview anyone they have reason to suspect.

The media are the ones that engaged in a public character assassination and are the ones that should be held responsible for the ongoing affect this will have.

Having said that, nobody can be held accountable for anything until a trial is complete.

I hope the person/s responsible are caught but what if the case remains unsolved, this person they arrested if he is innocent should get a statement read out by the police confirming that he is innocent otherwise the finger of suspicion will remain pointing at him, look at the Rachel Nickell and Collin Stagg case.

I hope the person/s responsible are caught but what if the case remains unsolved, this person they arrested if he is innocent should get a statement read out by the police confirming that he is innocent otherwise the finger of suspicion will remain pointing at him, look at the Rachel Nickell and Collin Stagg case.

The problem is, you can't prove a person innocent. He might still be their main suspect, even though they might not have enough evidence to secure a conviction.

If the police were to start this practice, if they refused in certain cases to make this 'innocence' statement (bearing in mind they could be held liable for any further implications if it turned out not to be the case), it would further reinforce the implication of guilt.

It's a toughy, but I'm afraid it's up to the public to decide whether they want to believe the tabloids or whether they prefer the old adage 'innocent until proven guilty'. Either way, I feel terribly sorry for anyone innocent that has had their entire life destroyed just to sell a single days paper.

The reporting about this man in the media was a disgrace. He has been convicted of nothing, but the inuendo and sly digs at his sexuality etc were shockingly bad journalism.

They've trawled just about everyone they can find but nobody seems to have anything particularly bad to say about him. That hasn't stopped the press from producing lurid headlines suggesting he might be anything from a complete nutter to a paediophile.

Assuming he is innocent, this man has to return to his life at some point, but how can he, knowing what has been said about him.

Beware. If this kind of character assasination becomes commonplace then it could happen to you too.

And Jill Dando - Barry George.

The reporting about this man in the media was a disgrace. He has been convicted of nothing, but the inuendo and sly digs at his sexuality etc were shockingly bad journalism.

They've trawled just about everyone they can find but nobody seems to have anything particularly bad to say about him. That hasn't stopped the press from producing lurid headlines suggesting he might be anything from a complete nutter to a paediophile.

Assuming he is innocent, this man has to return to his life at some point, but how can he, knowing what has been said about him.

Beware. If this kind of character assasination becomes commonplace then it could happen to you too.

There is a Sheffield lad in prison serving 17 years for a crime he didn't commit. He had a real roasting from the press and from a lot of folks on here who didn't know the wqhole story. Suppose you could expect nothing better from the press at times, but the reaction of some of the forum members left me shell shocked, having formed misguided opinions from what they had read.

I feel real sorry for Chris Jeffries at the moment, he must be going through hell.

I think there is a 99.999% chance he is innocent. Those Forensic people miss nothing !

There is a Sheffield lad in prison serving 17 years for a crime he didn't commit. He had a real roasting from the press and from a lot of folks on here who didn't know the wqhole story. Suppose you could expect nothing better from the press at times, but the reaction of some of the forum members left me shell shocked, having formed misguided opinions from what they had read.

I feel real sorry for Chris Jeffries at the moment, he must be going through hell.

I think there is a 99.999% chance he is innocent. Those Forensic people miss nothing !

Are there any more details on this please? I think I read something in Private Eye.

You're joking - some schoolchildren said he was 'strange'. PROOF, IF PROOF BE NEED BE!!!! that he is a murderer!!!!

Now the police have said that one of Jo Yeates' long grey socks is missing I wonder if the killer used it to strangle her with, they still don't know where or when she died according to the 11am news

This case gets curioser and curioser, not least because of the dribble of new disclosures and because of the vague and ambiguous information emanating from the police.

I must say I feel a little queezy about the amount of interest (including my own) in this case, because after all it is a terrible tragedy, with horrific consequences for the victim's family and friends, not a fictional detective story. I suppose though that most of us are naturally curious about murder mysteries, because of the prominent place they have in popular culture.

Archived