Compulsory part time jobs..

Question:

Would it be of benefit to make students take on part time jobs? To even make it a condition of their continued education?

Furthermore, to take a percentage of the earnings, set it aside and use it as a contribution towards fees?

There are, even in these hard times, plenty of vacancies, and would surely redress the imbalance felt by students with a job, and wider society.

Sounds like a goer to me...what do you think?

Lots of students already do part time work to keep their heads above water.

Are you suggesting that we make it even more difficult by taking a portion of their wages also? Everybody seems to have it in for students at the moment!

I think you will find that most students already have jobs. I worked at least 30 hours a week from the age of 17 and then all through university. I had to drop to 20 hours in my final year as I was on unpaid placement so could only work two ten hour weekend shifts.

I think you will find the students that need to work already work, the ones that don't tend to have very rich parents :hihi:

EDIT: out of 19, 17 years olds I know, all but 2 have part time jobs ;)

I think you will find that most students already have jobs. I worked at least 30 hours a week from the age of 17 and then all through university. I had to drop to 20 hours in my final year as I was on unpaid placement so could only work two ten hour weekend shifts.

I think you will find the students that need to work already work, the ones that don't tend to have very rich parents :hihi:

EDIT: out of 19, 17 years olds I know all but 2 have part time jobs ;)

I know of one lazy git student that doesnt have very rich parents but wont work either :nod:

I'm saying - plenty of students work part time, and obtain good degrees. This proves that study/work commitments CAN be balanced.

Now if there was a small percentage of the earnings that was set aside, it could be used as a contribution against the fees, thus reducing the amount they would face after graduation.

Its feasible to earn £70+, after tax, per week in term time, and double that in summer (which is what i had to do, quite a few years ago)

so you could be looking at a contribution base of (roughly speaking) about £3,500 per year.

10% of that would be £350 minimum raised from every student in the country, There are 2.5 million students, ignoring post-grads and the like.

That would raise £875 million every year. Stick it in a bank, and watch it generate interest, with each year's fund increasing by another £875 mill. Or, like a pension fund, allow certain speculative types to invest it and make it grow. Within a few years that fund will be a fair old amount, surely?

This will achieve the following:

Have an impact on student fees

Redress the imbalance felt by working students vs 'silver spoon' students

Endow students with a sense of reality / real world / etc / etc

Thus bringing us all closer together in peace and love and harmony.

Archived