Compulsory part time jobs..

I'm saying - plenty of students work part time, and obtain good degrees. This proves that study/work commitments CAN be balanced.

Now if there was a small percentage of the earnings that was set aside, it could be used as a contribution against the fees, thus reducing the amount they would face after graduation.

Its feasible to earn £70+, after tax, per week in term time, and double that in summer (which is what i had to do, quite a few years ago)

so you could be looking at a contribution base of (roughly speaking) about £3,500 per year.

10% of that would be £350 minimum raised from every student in the country, There are 2.5 million students, ignoring post-grads and the like.

That would raise £875 million every year. Stick it in a bank, and watch it generate interest, with each year's fund increasing by another £875 mill. Or, like a pension fund, allow certain speculative types to invest it and make it grow. Within a few years that fund will be a fair old amount, surely?

This will achieve the following:

Have an impact on student fees

Redress the imbalance felt by working students vs 'silver spoon' students

Endow students with a sense of reality / real world / etc / etc

Thus bringing us all closer together in peace and love and harmony.

I can't see £350 a year having much impact on £21k a year loan/fees.

If they finally reached their last year and lost their job, what then ?

Would they be kicked off the course ?

What about compulsory part time work for people on benefits? As most students already work part time I think any extra part time jobs created from goodness where should be given to those on benefits. I should imagine that benefit claimants are a bigger drain on the country's coffers than university students.

No. (in response to jongo)

The chances are that they will have have numerous part time jobs in the time they were at university. To move from one to the next is not really a big deal.

If they were made redundant though, the scheme would be sympathetic to this, don't worry.

£350 is sod all. But - pool it together, watch it accumulate over time, invest it wisely, the pot will become enormous!

No.

The chances are that they will have have numerous part time jobs in the time they were at university. To move from one to the next is not really a big deal.

If they were made redundant though, the scheme would be sympathetic to this, don't worry.

So, if they didnt hold down one of the compulsary jobs, they would be able to carry on regardless :huh:

Yep :D

Sounds like a goer to me too :lol:

I'm saying - plenty of students work part time, and obtain good degrees. This proves that study/work commitments CAN be balanced.

I do not see how taxing them more would be any better. When your living off £70 a week to pay your rent, living costs and then 5K+ of course fees a year I would be pretty miffed to have to pay any extra NI or tax than they are already paying.

At least your working full time when the loans have to be paid back so your not completely on the breadline and it is affordable.

It would be like saying that non working people people on £35 a week (with the added bonus of housing payments that students do not get, so add it up together and it's about £70 a week) would have to pay back £360 at the end of every year, I can't see it going down that well and they don't have the added stress of working part time, studying and having a massive debt to pay back for the next 15 years.

It is bad enough that students are expected to pay the fees (which has got to happen) but then your idea of also 'taxing' the little money they will be able to earn when studying is sily.

More than 80% of full-time students already have part-time jobs.

Since at least 1998, only those with very rich parents have not had to work to get through university.

Nearly all students either work evenings/nights and/or full-time (and more) out of term time. Chances are a good proportion of your local bar staff, checkout staff or factory workers will be moonlighting students.

It is bad enough that students are expected to pay the fees (which has got to happen) but then your idea of also 'taxing' the little money they will be able to earn when studying is sily.

This is a contribution towards that end cost, not additional.

You don't really get taxed on £70 week.

It would benefit wider society greatly in terms of vacancies, across all industries, being filled. This will only have a positive economic effect. Sociologically, students will feel increasingly like they are integrated with, and not aside from society.

There will be cheering in the street, whistling on the way to work, high-fives on the biscuit production line...

Cant argue with that really :)

p.s as it was for me as a student, i know a load already work and graft...this just ties up the idle / rich ones and gives em a boot up the backside, and has everyone contributing for themselves, and for society at the same time.

Archived