Compulsory part time jobs..

Question:

Would it be of benefit to make students take on part time jobs? To even make it a condition of their continued education?

Furthermore, to take a percentage of the earnings, set it aside and use it as a contribution towards fees?

There are, even in these hard times, plenty of vacancies, and would surely redress the imbalance felt by students with a job, and wider society.

Sounds like a goer to me...what do you think?

What about paying for food and rent?

Most students with part-time jobs live on less than those on the dole.

Dole is currently rent + £60pw. Many students have to survive on about £50pw after they have paid their rent.

What a gormless thread? When I was a student I had no fees, but no grant either (too late for that!) and had three jobs in my first years, two in the second and one in the third... It was hard, little sleep and not much time to be sociable - I realise this more now, as there are so many more people some of my college mates know from college than what I do! But I wasn't on my own - all working class students were working and we did tend to stick together...

I dont want a spotty student force to work for me as they would have the wrong attitude and couldnt careless about anything

Ha! Yeah, people were funny with me when I applied for jobs, and some were probably daft enough not to offer it to me, but those who did had a articulate, loyal and punctual employee for at least a year (one company had me for three years)... As a 18 year oold, I was well presented, intelligent and nope, no acne either! You must not judge others on your appearance and manner when you were a kid! If someone could get through the A Level years and pass, together with all the extra ciricular stuff uni increasingly demands, you will find that these kids will be commited and indeed do care, about many things... I have to say, bagging bean sprouts and making up cardboard boxes were not jobs I would have wanted to do permanently, but I did both jobs well until I could find something less mind numbing... Even if your work was so dull that a student couldn't face it for longer than a couple of months, at least you could have had someone who picked your work up fast and got the job done for the time they were there - not always the case with casual staff!

Question:

Would it be of benefit to make students take on part time jobs? To even make it a condition of their continued education?

Furthermore, to take a percentage of the earnings, set it aside and use it as a contribution towards fees?

There are, even in these hard times, plenty of vacancies, and would surely redress the imbalance felt by students with a job, and wider society.

Sounds like a goer to me...what do you think?

Not much. Get the unemployed,employed and let the students have as much fun as they can.Happy Days.:)

F*** off mate. Students have it bad enough as it is *COUGH* tuition fees *COUGH*. One day I hope to go to Uni, but it doesn't seem likely since I'm a working class lad living in a tory government, even if I could, chances are I would never stop; classes/ lectures all day then working in the evening - it would kill me!

F*** off mate. Students have it bad enough as it is *COUGH* tuition fees *COUGH*. One day I hope to go to Uni, but it doesn't seem likely since I'm a working class lad living in a tory government, even if I could, chances are I would never stop; classes/ lectures all day then working in the evening - it would kill me!

Please don't give up. I was the first from my working class family to go to college until I was 18 and my son was the first to go to university. You should always strive to improve yourself.

Archived