If you have used your fog light in the last few days please read.

I have just driven from Sheffield to Leeds (7.30am), it's ever so slightly foggy, the motorway is well lit and I can see at least 5 cars in front of me.

SO WHY TURN YOUR FOG LIGHT ON?

If you have a pretty good view of the five cars in front of you then there is a good chance that the car DIRECTLY BEHIND YOU knows you are there.

If it knows you are there you DON'T NEED YOUR BLOODY FOG LIGHT ON!

If that is all too complicated for you then get the bus.

Ta.

I believe 100 yards is the recommended maximum visibility at which you should turn on the fog lights.

I was on the M1 coming back from London last night, and at no point was it ever that bad. There was a far greater risk of me being blinded by fog-lights than ever there was of being unsighted by the fog!

I have just driven from Sheffield to Leeds (7.30am), it's ever so slightly foggy, the motorway is well lit and I can see at least 5 cars in front of me.

If you have a pretty good view of the five cars in front of you then there is a good chance that the car DIRECTLY BEHIND YOU knows you are there.

Ta.

Well said, these people using fog lights in good visibility are a menace with little concern for anyone. It might be just me, but doesn't it seem to be mostly elderly French cars guilty of this?

Ta.

It annoys the hell out of me but there's no telling some people :confused:

Yes, it seems that very few people are actually aware that it is ILLEGAL to use fog lights where visibility is not seriously impaired. Doing so makes it more dangerous by potentially dazzling the driver behind you.

Its even worse when its raining. The car companies must shoulder some of the blame though, I would say that most if not all the cars I have had owned, always have the fog light button out of sight of the driver, usually in line with the indicator arms where they are not clearly visible to the driver, so easily forgotten about.

Archived