If you have used your fog light in the last few days please read.

I have just driven from Sheffield to Leeds (7.30am), it's ever so slightly foggy, the motorway is well lit and I can see at least 5 cars in front of me.

SO WHY TURN YOUR FOG LIGHT ON?

If you have a pretty good view of the five cars in front of you then there is a good chance that the car DIRECTLY BEHIND YOU knows you are there.

If it knows you are there you DON'T NEED YOUR BLOODY FOG LIGHT ON!

If that is all too complicated for you then get the bus.

Ta.

Absolutely spot on. Follow people all the time glaring away, causing a hazard.

When I'm feeling really belligerent I would like to put my full beam on behind them "just to let them know I am there" :hihi:

If you are the back of a queue in thick fog by all means put your FL on, if someone comes up behind you and they have seen you (ie slowed down to the same speed as you) then TURN IT OFF it sure isn't difficult.

It depends how bad the worst of the fog actually was. On the M1, yesterday evening, it was nowhere bad enough to require fog lights; on the Snake pass, according to Cyclone, it very much was, and knowing what the Snake is like I'm inclined to believe him.

It varied tremendously actually, the light was on and off probably more than 5 times, you'd have a mile in thick fog, and then it would lift and you'd have no fog at all for a mile.

My car has two auxillary lights set in the front spoiler. They are driving lights and not fog lights, they refract and project the beam completely differently to fog lights and aid low level lighting of the kerb side road. The fog lights are set at the side of the headlamps. Ive lost count of how many people flash me at night, its not because they are being dazzled its because they think i have fog lights on and are trying to be smart...

My car has two auxillary lights set in the front spoiler. They are driving lights and not fog lights, they refract and project the beam completely differently to fog lights and aid low level lighting of the kerb side road. The fog lights are set at the side of the headlamps. Ive lost count of how many people flash me at night, its not because they are being dazzled its because they think i have fog lights on and are trying to be smart...

:huh:

I thought the lights below the headlights were fog lights / spot lights, so it sounds like your lights look very much like fog lights, that's why people keep flashing their lights at you.

If something looks like a fog light, it usually is a fog light....how are people supposed to know that in your model of car they're called something else?

Yes, I am female, so what?

Why does every driving related thread have to turn into an excuse to slate female drivers?

Or idiot lights, as I think of them, as they make you look like you're driving with fog lights on all of the time and therefore must be an idiot.

They're still dazzling.

Causing a hazzard how??

Blinding other drivers.

Dazzling other drivers so that they cannot see whether to overtake a "noddy" driver.

Making it difficult for other drivers to see if the car in front is braking.

It is illegal and dangerous.

Archived