Does my UPVC door need realigning?

Just opened the back door for the first time since the bad weather and it seemed a bit stiff. Tried closing it again and it was even stiffer and very difficult to lock. I had to really force the key to turn. I tried again a couple of times but it seems to be worse each time to the point where I no longer want to open the door in case I can't close and lock it again!

It's UPVC. Does this move with cold weather in the same way that wood does?

Does anyone know how to make it fit back again properly that doesn't involve complicated tools?

Toeing and Heeling? Upvc doors and opening windows (sash) are heavy, and although the dead weight is supported on the hinge side when it is opened, there is nothing on the lock side to support the weight, and without the procedure of toeing and heeling the door will "drop" on the handle side, sooner or later causing locking problems . To stop a door or sash dropping the glass or door panel has to be braced diagonally corner to corner by the insertion of plastic packers slipped in the gap between the glass and frame, under the beading. On the hinge side the packers go at the bottom corner, whilst on the lock side, the packers go at the top (opposite) corner :)

Toeing and Heeling? Upvc doors and opening windows (sash) are heavy, and although the dead weight is supported on the hinge side when it is opened, there is nothing on the lock side to support the weight, and without the procedure of toeing and heeling the door will "drop" on the handle side, sooner or later causing locking problems . To stop a door or sash dropping the glass or door panel has to be braced diagonally corner to corner by the insertion of plastic packers slipped in the gap between the glass and frame, under the beading. On the hinge side the packers go at the bottom corner, whilst on the lock side, the packers go at the top (opposite) corner :)

with a little bit of silicone underneath the packers to stop the glazing packs from dropping..

Archived