Does 'merely' thinking a certain way make you a '-phobe', '-ist' etc

No-one is born a racist, or a hater of women or homosexuals. They learn, someone teaches them.

Can they learn to overcome their prejudices? Yes, and sometimes they do.

Ive encountered many who have journeyed on that road to Damascus..a few of them here ;)

Fair enough. It wouldn't be for no reason would it? you would surely have a personal reason for discriminating against me...reasons you are entitled to have.

Lets just say you were a shop keeper or something, your discrimination wouldn't kill me, there's plenty of other shop keepers that wont discriminate against me, so I'll just go there.

the problem is that it doesn't end with a 'shop keeper or something'. your children learn that it's ok to act towards some people a certain way just because you don't like them. then the shop keeper is a colleague next, a neighbor and on and on.

What about say for example in "Shameless" where someone will say "it's your family duty", even though the experiment was initially set up to study the war it's implications are much more widespread and can be put into effect even just with a couple of people!

'shameless'?

. 'natural' is anything produced by nature, more or less, right?if the main reason homosexuality is not natural is because the human race would die out did it then infertility should be classed the same. but it's not. there are people born all sorts of ways, physically disabled, mentally disabled etc but you never hear people say that's unnatural.

Can you see that you are strengthening my argument. Are you saying that physical or mental illness is desirable because it is in nature.? That is what is said about homosexuality. Animals eat their offspring should that be classed as normal . I do not judge how anyone lives their life, I could not discriminate in any way against a homosexual, please be satisfied with that undertaking

Are some people inherently prejudiced, or can they be educated to be more accepting of diversity? I think that some peoples' prejudice stems from lack of knowledge.

that's the case most times, lack of knowledge. or the wrong knowledge (newspaper stories, statistics etc) to make assumptions. i thought all English people walked around in top hats on cobblestone streets drinking tea. how wrong was i? seriously though, education tends to fix things.

I'm more interested in a persons Character than their sexual preference. There's nothing perverted about that is there?

not at all, D. i meant if you don't see the character or anything else but how that person has sex then that's perverted. makes all you can think of sex. not you YOU, you you. know what i mean?

that's the case most times, lack of knowledge. or the wrong knowledge (newspaper stories, statistics etc) to make assumptions. i thought all English people walked around in top hats on cobblestone streets drinking tea. how wrong was i? seriously though, education tends to fix things.

Watching American TV I sometimes wonder if where I live is England.

Can you see that you are strengthening my argument. Are you saying that physical or mental illness is desirable because it is in nature.? That is what is said about homosexuality. Animals eat their offspring should that be classed as normal . I do not judge how anyone lives their life, I could not discriminate in any way against a homosexual, please be satisfied with that undertaking

no one says homosexuality is 'desirable'. you don't get gay people standing on streets trying to turn people to a 'more desirable' lifestyle. i'm just saying, like any other differences in nature, it is what it is.

animals eating their young is normal...to animals.

pleased by your bold

Archived