Does 'merely' thinking a certain way make you a '-phobe', '-ist' etc

what would you do?

What did I do!

Maybe that's why i'm spending an inordinate amount of time on here at the moment?

I had a sort of Baptist upbringing, i've always sacrificed myself for the greater good, who cares, the people who recognise my mad ways know me are the ones whose opinions matter to me.

I had a good multicultural upbringing which has always got me into situations where I could be devils advocate, the enemy from within, a hypocrite of the first order, no wonder i'm mad!

Acknowledge that they have different views and agree to disagree - unless of course you have to!

best way, i'd say. wish it was that easy. tends to be that some people feel the need to make their opinions heard loud and clear. i have seen that victims of bigotry in another time become so violently vocal that even people who agree with them tend not to 'agree enough' in their eyes. the is-it-because-i-is-black syndrome as so to to speak. or victims of homophobia 'throwing it in people's faces'.

so, does disliking someone because of their thoughts and/or beliefs make you a bigot?

Originally posted by Danot

If it did, wouldn't that make each and every one of us a bigot?

Originally posted by Kaimani

what is the best way to deal with someone whose beliefs you absolutely don't agree with, if simply ignoring them is not an option.

Id leave them to their bigoted view and move on. They're the one who'll suffer any consequences as a result of their actions not me.

so, does disliking someone because of their thoughts and/or beliefs make you a bigot?

Originally posted by Danot

If it did, wouldn't that make each and every one of us a bigot?

Id leave them to their bigoted view and move on. They're the one who'll suffer any consequences as a result of their actions not me.

i know. I'm just thinking if bigotry is prejudice against people for their belief, thoughts etc then it might hold even if the thoughts and beliefs you dislike them for are hateful.

so, does disliking someone because of their thoughts and/or beliefs make you a bigot? what is the best way to deal with someone whose beliefs you absolutely don't agree with, if simply ignoring them is not an option.

A couple of examples of how not to do it by Harry Enfield.....

:hihi:

i know. I'm just thinking if bigotry is prejudice against people for their belief, thoughts etc then it might hold even if the thoughts and beliefs you dislike them for are hateful.

I puppose it is possible for someone to hold a bigoted view on someone else's bigoted view as bigots have different reasons for their bigotry. But that only establishes that both individuals are bigoted doesn't it.

Acknowledge that they have different views and agree to disagree - unless of course you have to!

Declaiming 'up the Roma' might be viewed as a form of prejudice. Being suspicious of Roma is not necessarily a form of prejudice, if it is based on knowledge of certain cultural practices for which the Roma have become notorious.

Liberals are never so happy as when they are denouncing the prejudices of others. Indeed, they seem almost to have cornered the market in smug, sanctimonious finger-pointing. Moats and beams come to mind, as in reality they are just as prejudiced and bigoted as those they condemn (indeed, they are often more so).

Declaiming 'up the Roma' might be viewed as a form of prejudice. Being suspicious of Roma is not necessarily a form of prejudice, if it is based on knowledge of certain cultural practices for which the Roma have become notorious.

Liberals are never so happy as when they are denouncing the prejudices of others. Indeed, they seem almost to have cornered the market in smug, sanctimonious finger-pointing. Moats and beams come to mind, as in reality they are just as prejudiced and bigoted as those they condemn (indeed, they are often more so).

Ohh I don't know. I think liberals could learn a lot from you.... :hihi:

I puppose it is possible for someone to hold a bigoted view on someone else's bigoted view as bigots have different reasons for their bigotry. But that only establishes that both individuals are bigoted doesn't it.

One group may even be right!

If the group view which you attest to is correct then is it wrong to be a bigot?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bigot

NOTE: This would probably need to be an object topic rather than subjective, e.g. scientific belief.

Archived