Does 'merely' thinking a certain way make you a '-phobe', '-ist' etc

Declaiming 'up the Roma' might be viewed as a form of prejudice. Being suspicious of Roma is not necessarily a form of prejudice, if it is based on knowledge of certain cultural practices for which the Roma have become notorious.

Liberals are never so happy as when they are denouncing the prejudices of others. Indeed, they seem almost to have cornered the market in smug, sanctimonious finger-pointing. Moats and beams come to mind, as in reality they are just as prejudiced and bigoted as those they condemn (indeed, they are often more so).

difference in opinions have, of late, lead to either side calling the other bigoted.

i have a problem i know to be a problem so struggle with it all the time. basically, my mind is so open as to be closed. i'll try to explain that=my default setting is mistrusting anything 'mainstream' or 'proven' to such an extend that i have sometimes refuse to accept things everyone else dies. it's mellowed with age. with that though, the 'openminededness' came this distrust of anyone who subscribes to anything i considered mainstream. this, i knew even then was wrong, and bigoted, even, i think. the bane of 'liberals' too i think, at the extreme end of the spectrum.

Declaiming 'up the Roma' might be viewed as a form of prejudice. Being suspicious of Roma is not necessarily a form of prejudice, if it is based on knowledge of certain cultural practices for which the Roma have become notorious.

Liberals are never so happy as when they are denouncing the prejudices of others. Indeed, they seem almost to have cornered the market in smug, sanctimonious finger-pointing. Moats and beams come to mind, as in reality they are just as prejudiced and bigoted as those they condemn (indeed, they are often more so).

would it be wrong to condemn one form of bigotry if you know you hold one yourself? eg, being homophobic and yet going on marches etc to campaign against, say, islamophobia or something else?

Against whom Chaverly? Why not say what you really think for once?

On what grounds do you claim that liberals are often more prejudiced and bigoted than those they condemn?

Against whom Chaverly? Why not say what you really think for once?

On what grounds do you claim that liberals are often more prejudiced and bigoted than those they condemn?

this is kind of what i had in mind when i asked about people being bigoted if they dislike some people because of their bigoted views. that's coz i've had it said a lot about 'liberals' but never really made sense to me.

Archived