Does 'merely' thinking a certain way make you a '-phobe', '-ist' etc

In this country the thought police are everywhere,soon the mere thought of thinking something that doesnt go with majority opinion wil be a crime,george orwell welcome home.

i see your point. and while i agree with the basic idea behind 'hate crime' etc i don't think it should be right to legislate against thought, which seems to be happening if the current trend continues. all 'policing' thought does is to obliterate debate, drive people towards the fringes, or underground with the inevitable results, i think.

So, I was just looking at my tongue in the mirror, it didn't look good, I thought i'll give it a brush, looked down, first thing I saw was bleach, it flashed across my mind whether it'd do the job, obviously not, but it is easy to put ideas in your mind! Then you have to at least consider it in some way, even to discount it.

So, it is surely possible to think something without it actually meaning something!

What's the old adage, "out of sight, out of mind".

i see your point. and while i agree with the basic idea behind 'hate crime' etc i don't think it should be right to legislate against thought, which seems to be happening if the current trend continues. all 'policing' thought does is to obliterate debate, drive people towards the fringes, or underground with the inevitable results, i think.

True, take a rebel without a cause concept, e.g. tell them not to and they will. Or say the drugs or prostitution issues where instantly anyone involved is an outcast, pushed out of society, things are surely only going to get worse.

I'd consider it hypocrisy to attend a ceremony that one doesn't believe in, whether or not there's any homophobia present.

Why act the opposite of your opinions? I am fine with people getting married in a church if that is their belief, but that doesn't mean that I will attend a church service (since I'm not Christian).

Disliking something is not the same as any phobia, but it's still an unpleasant bias. Whether you think that your opinions affect your actions or not, they do.

If you really think that you can treat all people the same even if you are biased against those who have different coloured skin, or a different religion, gender or sexuality, then you are deluding yourself.

The trouble is, if EVERYBODY'S actions were in accordance with their thoughts and/or beiliefs, then there'd be a lot more friction in society.

Not to mention dead bodies.

My best friend had a church wedding and sked me to be best man. Neither he nor his wife is a christian, i consider THAT hypocrisy.

I attended as his best man, but seeing as i was making no vows to a god i didn't believe in, and i didn't sing any of the hymns, i don't regard my taking part as being hypocritical. I did find it all a bit creepy though.

No i don't think that having thoughts alone makes you bigoted. We can't help what comes into our minds from time to time either. If the thoughts are strong and/or hateful then yes it could make you bigoted, as it will likely affect your actions eventually.

As far as i'm concerned, if you have mild reservations/feelings/thoughts about something but don't let it affect your behaviour/words/actions, then it's not being bigoted OR hypocritical.

It's called being tolerant, and we could all do with it a bit more because nobody's perfect.

exactly my friend you are correct.

The trouble is, if EVERYBODY'S actions were in accordance with their thoughts and/or beiliefs, then there'd be a lot more friction in society.

Not to mention dead bodies.

My best friend had a church wedding and sked me to be best man. Neither he nor his wife is a christian, i consider THAT hypocrisy.

I attended as his best man, but seeing as i was making no vows to a god i didn't believe in, and i didn't sing any of the hymns, i don't regard my taking part as being hypocritical. I did find it all a bit creepy though.

No i don't think that having thoughts alone makes you bigoted. We can't help what comes into our minds from time to time either. If the thoughts are strong and/or hateful then yes it could make you bigoted, as it will likely affect your actions eventually.

As far as i'm concerned, if you have mild reservations/feelings/thoughts about something but don't let it affect your behaviour/words/actions, then it's not being bigoted OR hypocritical.

It's called being tolerant, and we could all do with it a bit more because nobody's perfect.

good point. so much comes into your mind that we do need to set some criteria of who's a bigot and who's not where thoughts are concerned. if it does cloud your judgment on the day to day, then yes, i'd say you a bigot too.

There are ways to cause offense that are considered worse than others. Bigotry is nothing more than ignorance.

i'd say ignorance is ignorance and bigotry is bigotry. to dismiss some of the vile stuff people do as just ignorance might be dangerous i think.

Archived