Does 'merely' thinking a certain way make you a '-phobe', '-ist' etc

So why rule black girls out as potential babysitters? I don't get it.

He didn't rule them out entirely; he just said he'd prefer white.

I know I have certain biases that I should not have. I cannot remove them. What I can do is try to overcome them; knowing that they exist, make an effort to put them aside when dealing with people. I probably don't always succeed.

You can have thoughts that you yourself will not agree with.

Some things aren't worth discussing but others are worth asking in an attempt to rationalise without forcing.

I'll often lay myself open to being classed as something even when i'm not, but i'd say there is method to my madness.

fair points all these. but the world being what it is we all have to make do with hypocrisy day to day. i was made god father and had to go to the christening though I'm not christian. but i felt it was the right thing to do, as so to speak.

we do have to act 'opposite to our opinions' a lot of the times, especially if they are minority ones. society demands it. coz i think if we didn't then chaos would ensue.

My friends know me well enough to know that I would not agree to be godmother to their children no matter how much commitment I have to help them as they grow up, so we had a humanist ceremony as well as a christening and I have instead vowed to be life guardian to the children, so they have both godparents and a life guardian.

I don't act opposite to my opinions and have been known to quit jobs rather than do something that was contrary to my fundamental beliefs. I treat everybody with the same basic level of respect and expect them to do the same back.

Fair point, but why a white one in preference to black?

Less chance of a crime being comitted. Statistically there are more blacks in the prison system worldwide then whites. And that's a fact. So I'm just working on the laws of averages to protect my cherished children, Timmy and Bobby-Jo.

Less chance of a crime being comitted. Statistically there are more blacks in the prison system worldwide then whites. And that's a fact.

That is, indeed, a fact. But for you to infer that a given black person is more likely to commit a crime than a given black person is not only unwarranted; in this country, it's actually false!

Archived