Does 'merely' thinking a certain way make you a '-phobe', '-ist' etc

a father , black or white, or Asian, who thinks races stick to their own for example. he wholeheartedly believes this but says nothing when his seed marries someone out of the race. is he a racist still? a person who thinks Islam is backward and dangerous but doesn't campaign for the local mosque to be shut. a person who thinks homosexuality is a sin but respects the rights of those gay to be. a devout Muslim who thinks the west is doomed yet pledges alliance to the queen. the list is endless.

does thinking something make you 'bigoted' or it's the actions you take based on those thoughts and beliefs that make you a -phobe, -ist etc?

and people who hold seemingly conflicting views. are they then hypocrites? eg a racist gay rights activist, a homophobic civil rights campaigner etc.

thoughts, beliefs, or actions?

Nah it doesn't....everyone is entitled to their opinion....

BF and H, you've just reminded me. it seems prejudices based on physical difference( of course it's never just a simple as 'physical') are on their way out. even cultural one, as long as you're the same religion, seem to be on the wane too. strange that religious prejudice is bucking the trend.

Well there was always a predilection amongst some to bash 'Pakis', what Islamists have done is give their offspring an excuse to do the same.

The common memories of Asians from the 70's are benign images of genial, long suffering waiters in curry houses. Put a few of them in suicide vests and hijacked aeroplanes and the detractors hatred of Asians is legitimised although it hangs on the peg of being anti Islam/culture rather than an indiscriminate phobia towards a race of people which would be harder to swallow.

I love that! Ha! Black people don't try to blow people up on Christmas eve though - maybe because they're too busy with their friends and families then?

..but that lack of an obvious threat still didnt stop the NF bovver boys from creating havoc in inner city multiracial communities in the 70's.

I'm afraid some people-black, white or Muslim will always want an excuse to behave antisocially.

Happy NY to you by the way LS

I love that! Ha! Black people don't try to blow people up on Christmas eve though - maybe because they're too busy with their friends and families then?

there are black Muslims who have tried to blow things up. there are white Muslims caught training to fight in the camps in Afghanistan. just saying black people OK just coz we haven't tried to blow things up is exactly what i was going for when i said 'are some forms of bigotry better than others?'.

do we just distrust 'brown' Muslims and not all the black and white ones, Indonesian ones. after all Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world.

Archived