Does 'merely' thinking a certain way make you a '-phobe', '-ist' etc

from what i'm reading i'm guessing there's a, more or less, general consnsus that thinking does not make it so. 'i think but i am not' as so to speak.

what if four men meet for a pint. and they all talk about and agree that, say, being gay is wrong, etc. they have voiced it, and spoken of it at length. does that make the group homophobic even though they mere voiced an agreed upon opinion and have no intention of acting on it. though one might say in the jokes and words used during the talk they 'acted' on their thoughts.

what if four men meet for a pint. and they all talk about and agree that, say, being gay is wrong, etc. they have voiced it, and spoken of it at length. does that make the group homophobic

It hardly matters if they are in private, and there isn't by chance a gay couple sitting at the next table who cannot help but overhear them.

What matters is how those four men behave when there are gay people around. Would they get up and leave if a gay couple sat down at the next table and kissed each other?

from what i'm reading i'm guessing there's a, more or less, general consnsus that thinking does not make it so. 'i think but i am not' as so to speak.

what if four men meet for a pint. and they all talk about and agree that, say, being gay is wrong, etc. they have voiced it, and spoken of it at length. does that make the group homophobic even though they mere voiced an agreed upon opinion and have no intention of acting on it. though one might say in the jokes and words used during the talk they 'acted' on their thoughts.

So if any one of them thought it was OK or right, would that make him gay, or any more likely to be gay?

When your group say it's wrong, in what way, wrong for themselves, wrong for anyone, or wrong for society?

It is my personal preference that if I was a baby I would rather be brought up by a mother and father than by two gay men or two straight men - is that phobic?

Surely your preferences as a baby would be influenced by your present state of mind going back in time with phobia's you've picked up on the way. As a baby all your concern would be 'feed me'. So..as a baby, kept warm and fed, for all it cared you could just as well be a duck.

It hardly matters if they are in private, and there isn't by chance a gay couple sitting at the next table who cannot help but overhear them.

What matters is how those four men behave when there are gay people around. Would they get up and leave if a gay couple sat down at the next table and kissed each other?

i kind of agree. just trying to work out where 'private thoughts' become 'actions' that can be called -phobic, -ist, bigoted or whatever.

I know I'd rather a white British female babysit my kids then any other profile.

That may sound bigotted, but secretly I bet most of you lot would agree with me.

I don't care that you're racist. But I find it offensive that you assume that everyone else is like you. I don't secretly agree with you, I do publicly disagree with you though and would rather that someone of any colour but not racist like you babysits my nieces and nephews.

So if any one of them thought it was OK or right, would that make him gay, or any more likely to be gay?

When your group say it's wrong, in what way, wrong for themselves, wrong for anyone, or wrong for society?

it the hypothetical group proposed everyone agrees. the reason i made everyone agree was to see if talking in agreement without affecting anyone with a different view should be classed as bigoted.

the group might say it's wrong for society or just them, doesn't really matter. if they say that, and agree, but takes no action beyond talking again on their next meeting is it still bigotry?

in a group where one is gay, and the group says it's wrong but don't ostracize the one I'm not sure what that would be.

We are what we are regardless of how others perceive us. If your inner thoughts and personal views are bigoted, you are bigoted.

the problem with that is you wouldn't call yourself a bigot. and since you don't voice or act on your thoughts no one would have cause to call you as such.

Archived