Does 'merely' thinking a certain way make you a '-phobe', '-ist' etc

Just to muddy the waters still further... suppose that I, personally, believe homosexuality is wrong, but I accept that other people have a right to believe it's right and go ahead and BE homosexual.

Am I then a bigot? I'm not disputing a gay person's right to be gay.

The two positions would appear to be contradictory unless, you only believe homosexuality is wrong purely for yourself (that does seem to be the only consistent sense I can understand the two propositions).

In which case you aren't a homophobe, simply a heterosexual.

The two positions would appear to be contradictory.

I don't think they are. I can believe homosexuality to be an unnatural aberration, yet still believe - and believe more strongly - that I have no right to impose my beliefs on everybody else. (For the record, I don't, this is an entirely hypothetical question!)

They would not be going against what they believe, in the scenario I outlined. I can attend a wedding and wish a couple joy and happiness even if personally I believe they have no chance at all of achieving them. There is no hypocrisy in that.

Of course it's hypocrisy. No matter how you try to dress it up, believing one thing, then acting in another (totally opposite) manner is hypocritical (hypocrisy can be displayed by actions as well as words). Whether the hypocrisy is available for all to see, is irrelevant. You would still be a hypocrite.

Just to muddy the waters still further... suppose that I, personally, believe homosexuality is wrong, but I accept that other people have a right to believe it's right and go ahead and BE homosexual.

Or another way...If you think it's WRONG but you have the air of RIGHT because you don't say it's wrong.

Or another way...I take what doesn't belong to me but I tell no one even to the point of telling others I hate thieves.

Going dizzy now.

If you believed homosexuality is wrong, I would assume it would be because same sex couples cannot procreate using the natural method of sexual intercourse. If this is so, I would ask, why you are limiting your disapproval to homosexuals who are unable to procreate?

It is my personal preference that if I was a baby I would rather be brought up by a mother and father than by two gay men or two straight men - is that phobic?

Some people have deep rooted reasons as to why they feel the way they do - it may be of some help to you to get some help re your issues with men though... Lot's of people have been raised by men, and I don't mean in a 'mum and dad' way, but in a dad and grandad way, or a single dad... Those kids are nothing but happy... I guess it would be difficult for a adult to understand what it was like to be a baby though, so maybe you were just being flippant?

I don't think they are. I can believe homosexuality to be an unnatural aberration, yet still believe - and believe more strongly - that I have no right to impose my beliefs on everybody else. (For the record, I don't, this is an entirely hypothetical question!)

In which case, I would say the view homosexuality is unnatural does make them a homophobe, but not one of much concern.

Incidentally people can and often do have conflicting views about a situation, I believe studies on cognitive dissonance explore how we tend to resolve these situations.

you all have made some pretty good points. I'm convinced, now, that thoughts can make you a bigot etc.

I'm not sure, though, that believing one thing and not acting on that belief, or acting opposite to it, doesn't necessarily make you a hypocrite. well, maybe, by strict definition by Webster, oxford et al, but i think it makes you, in most real world situations, just civil. is hypocrisy, for lack of a better word, in this case, not only the lesser of two evils, but the right thing to do?

you all have made some pretty good points. I'm convinced, now, that thoughts can make you a bigot etc.

I'm not sure, though, that believing one thing and not acting on that belief, or acting opposite to it, doesn't necessarily make you a hypocrite. well, maybe, by strict definition by Webster, oxford et al, but i think it makes you, in most real world situations, just civil. is hypocrisy, for lack of a better word, in this case, not only the lesser of two evils, but the right thing to do?

How does that apply to the situation the other day concerning cowardice?

It's only the right thing to do if you're a hypocrite.

Archived