Does 'merely' thinking a certain way make you a '-phobe', '-ist' etc

Surely your preferences as a baby would be influenced by your present state of mind going back in time with phobia's you've picked up on the way. As a baby all your concern would be 'feed me'. So..as a baby, kept warm and fed, for all it cared you could just as well be a duck.

I don't think a baby would care who its primary care givers were as long as it's basic needs were met and it was in a loving and secure environment.

A child brought up by gay parents would not know any different, it is society that judges them differently.

Accept you're a bigot.

we've accepted, more or less that thinking makes you a bigot. the question i asked on hypocrisy was- is it not better to be a hypocrite by not acting on your thoughts rather than refusing to be a hypocrite so, by extension acting on your every thought and prejudice?

we've accepted, more or less that thinking makes you a bigot. the question i asked on hypocrisy was- is it not better to be a hypocrite by not acting on your thoughts rather than refusing to be a hypocrite so, by extension acting on your every thought and prejudice?
Yes it would be better to keep mum if that was how someone felt. It would also be wise to avoid situations whenever possible that might conflict with ones personal views.

I think thoughts can make you an x-ist, or an x-phobe, however if you don't act on them its not really a big deal, and if you consciously try to re-evaluate them logically that's even better, you can find that the thoughts stop coming after a while. Pretty much everyone has some prejudices, but how we act is more important.

Of course it's hypocrisy. No matter how you try to dress it up, believing one thing, then acting in another (totally opposite) manner is hypocritical (hypocrisy can be displayed by actions as well as words). Whether the hypocrisy is available for all to see, is irrelevant. You would still be a hypocrite.

So if I have an aquaintance who is homosexual who I accept is quite normal in every other sense and I believe should be treat exactly the same as everyone else but feel that the homosexuality is not natural then am I a bigot, because if I see someone in a wheelchair through some illness I feel empathy and that the person should be treat as normal as possible but do not like the disease.which put him in the wheelchair Does that make me a bigot too. Could it be that the definition of bigot should be, We cannot convince him to our point of view so he must be wicked or stupid and we should all insult him until he agrees with us.

Yes it would be better to keep mum if that was how someone felt. It would also be wise to avoid situations whenever possible that might conflict with ones personal views.

not so easy these days. you might work with someone who's gay. would you quit if you're a homophobe? or refuse a kidney you needed from someone of another race if you're racist?

Archived