In these hard times should footballers have their pay cut?

vinyl

I just wonder what folks think of fat cat footballers earning £100K a week and driving up ticket prices.

Folks start threads about fat cat bankers and then pay at the turnstyles to watch a game and top up the wages of players who are quite likely tax exiles.

Or you could ask. In these hard times, should football fans be made to stop waisting their money on season tickets, home and away strips, pre and post match booze-ups etc? After all, we're in hard times aren't we.

Sorry about that, I gave you credit for more ability than you obviously have.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article2116217.ece

If you want any credit I would quit the veiled insults :roll: ………… yep after god knows how much gooling you found a 3 year old link it’s a pity that most of those quoted are foreigners and so are perfectly entitled to have foreign bank accounts and Beckham who now lives in America.

If you want any credit I would quit the veiled insults :roll: ………… yep after god knows how much gooling you found a 3 year old link it’s a pity that most of those quoted are foreigners and so are perfectly entitled to have foreign bank accounts and Beckham who now lives in America.

Beckham counts as a tax exile, although I don't for one second think that not having to pay tax was the reason he left. Foreigners living here would be tax exiles if they were paying tax to HMRC instead of in their own countries, and English footballers still living in England are, by definition, not tax exiles - so I'm not sure exactly what point was originally trying to be made.

How, exactly, would you cut them? Footballers' wages are determined by negotiation and market value, not my government fiat.

Fair comment, but try telling that to those who recently suffered wage cuts in the coucils pay and grading debacle, all in jobs with a negotiated (and agreed) rate of pay and conditions. I believe that a lot of the big clubs paying these vast wages are in debt themselves (Man Utd at around 800 million?) so how do they manage that?

I personaly don't think any person is worth £200k a week for kicking a bag of wind around a bit of grass for an hour and a half each week, but thats me

Can't remember the exact details but didn't something come out recently when a guy called Adams (Played for Aresenal I think) was being taken to the cleaners by his wife in a divorce case. It transpired that he and most of the team were all into the same method of tax avoidance which they were desperate to keep quiet, I assume from their loyal supporters.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Archived