In these hard times should footballers have their pay cut?

vinyl

But isn't it interesting that a club like Sheffield Wednesday can build up debts of £30 million. Then rather than face insolvency get a bank to right off those debts.

I don’t claim to be an expert on these matters but here goes ……… the club goes bust and its debtors risk getting nothing or forcing the club to sell its assets and recoup what they can.

The club is bought for a nominal fee (£1) and the benefactor agrees to buy out the debt.

I don’t claim to be an expert on these matters but here goes ……… the club goes bust and its debtors risk getting nothing or forcing the club to sell its assets and recoup what they can.

The club is bought for a nominal fee (£1) and the benefactor agrees to buy out the debt.

That pretty much sums it up

It has nothing to do with football at all, merely my thoughts on negotiated wages, terms and conditions which can, quite obviously, be overturned if the desire is there

I understand your point, but if a football club reneged on a negotiated wage contract the player would take his skills elsewhere, council workers dont enjoy that luxury, but are they the victims of their circumstances or intransigence?

Let's say council workers could negotiate their own pay and conditions.

A situation would arise where those who were 'exceptional' at their jobs would be in high demand and paid accordingly and those less so would be paid a smaller amount or be unemployable-that's pretty much the situation in the Premiership.

I also baulk at what top footballers get paid, but if you put it into perspective there are probably 200 individuals who are at the very top of a very competitive and precarious business.

I understand your point, but if a football club reneged on a negotiated wage contract the player would take his skills elsewhere, council workers dont enjoy that luxury, but are they the victims of their circumstances or intransigence?

Let's say council workers could negotiate their own pay and conditions.

A situation would arise where those who were 'exceptional' at their jobs would be in high demand and paid accordingly and those less so would be paid a smaller amount or be unemployable-that's pretty much the situation in the Premiership.

I also baulk at what top footballers get paid, but if you put it into perspective there are probably 200 individuals who are at the very top of a very competitive and precarious business.

if council workers were all footballers....they would all be playing non-league...allways shirking....

Currently the football clubs are trying to pay the players as little as possible whilst still retaining their services, at the same time the players are trying to get as high wage as possible that their employers will pay.

How is this different from any other forms of employer/employee relationships?

• 3 weeks later...
Currently the football clubs are trying to pay the players as little as possible whilst still retaining their services, at the same time the players are trying to get as high wage as possible that their employers will pay.

How is this different from any other forms of employer/employee relationships?

Nail on the head, well said. Plain and simple.:)

footballers are worth hatever the club pays them

rooney is worth £200,000 a week because man utd think he is

they an spend their money however they wish, i wouldnt want anyone cutting my wages because someone else thinks i earn too much ... infact id be livid as would everyone else

Football is entertainment (for some!), and those who go are not forced, it isn't a necessety (Should actors in films be paid less, so more can afford to buy them on DVD or go to the cienma?).

If people pay high prices for 90min of football keep charging it, alot goes back into the country through high taxes players pay (if they are not using loop holes that is).

Did anyone else hear the bit on BBC News about footballers exploiting the tax system. It seems they have a large portion of their earnings paid overseas as "image rights" to their own private companies. The money is then "loaned" back to them at negligible interest rates. Apparently it means they pay 22% tax instead of 50%.

50 players in the Premier League use the system. Probably the rest are classed as non doms anyhow.

Archived