Holiday Inn Royal Victoria - History and 150th Anniversary Events

kpents

Hi all.

I'm starting to compile a study on the Royal Victoria Hotel, Victoria Railway Station and the surrounding area of Sheffield.

I am looking for as much information as possible to facilitate my study which, will be used to compile a book.

In addition to photos, I am looking for as many stories as people have. The main categories are:

• Former employees of the hotel, railway station or neighbouring businesses

• Major entertainment, Dinners and Conferences held at the property or surrounding areas

• Memorabilia - particularly photographable memorabilia for inclusion in a publication

• Family links regarding ownership of land, buildings, businesses in the area

• Other Anecdotes - humourous, serious, touching and memorable

• Any other interesting matters which you feel may be relevant

In addition to the book, the hotel is 150 years old in 2012 and I am looking to arrange a number of events over the next 2 years to celebrate the 150th Anniversary:

Current potential line-ups (confirmed and un-confirmed) are as follows:

• Matt Monro Jnr - 15/01/2011 (confirmed - PM or Email me for full information). Matt Monro (Snr) stayed at the hotel a number of times on his visits to Sheffield.

• SLO (Syd Lawrence Orchestra)- Early stages of talks but, planned for 2012. The SLO performed their first public engagement away from Liverpool at the Royal Victoria Hotel.

• Junction 33 Dance Band - Supporting Matt Monro Jnr on 15/01/2011 but, further appearances are planned for dinner-dances and 1940s events throughout the following 2 years.

• Brass Band Contest - Early stages of planning - Featuring local brass bands in an entertainment contest.

• Local Acts - Early plans to contact Boy on a Dolphin, Lindsay Dracass, Paul Carrack, Richard Hawley and other local performers with a view to holding events over the next 2 years.

If you have any ideas of other events which I could look at for the anniversary celebrations or, if you would like to take part in any events, please let me know.

To contact me or other members of the team, please PM me or send me an email through my profile.

Many Thanks

Dave Keighley

KP Entertainment

Hi all.

I'm starting to compile a study on the Royal Victoria Hotel, Victoria Railway Station and the surrounding area of Sheffield.

I am looking for as much information as possible to facilitate my study which, will be used to compile a book.

In addition to photos, I am looking for as many stories as people have. The main categories are:

• Former employees of the hotel, railway station or neighbouring businesses

• Major entertainment, Dinners and Conferences held at the property or surrounding areas

• Memorabilia - particularly photographable memorabilia for inclusion in a publication

• Family links regarding ownership of land, buildings, businesses in the area

• Other Anecdotes - humourous, serious, touching and memorable

• Any other interesting matters which you feel may be relevant

In addition to the book, the hotel is 150 years old in 2012 and I am looking to arrange a number of events over the next 2 years to celebrate the 150th Anniversary:

Current potential line-ups (confirmed and un-confirmed) are as follows:

• Matt Monro Jnr - 15/01/2011 (confirmed - PM or Email me for full information). Matt Monro (Snr) stayed at the hotel a number of times on his visits to Sheffield.

• SLO (Syd Lawrence Orchestra)- Early stages of talks but, planned for 2012. The SLO performed their first public engagement away from Liverpool at the Royal Victoria Hotel.

• Junction 33 Dance Band - Supporting Matt Monro Jnr on 15/01/2011 but, further appearances are planned for dinner-dances and 1940s events throughout the following 2 years.

• Brass Band Contest - Early stages of planning - Featuring local brass bands in an entertainment contest.

• Local Acts - Early plans to contact Boy on a Dolphin, Lindsay Dracass, Paul Carrack, Richard Hawley and other local performers with a view to holding events over the next 2 years.

If you have any ideas of other events which I could look at for the anniversary celebrations or, if you would like to take part in any events, please let me know.

To contact me or other members of the team, please PM me or send me an email through my profile.

Many Thanks

Dave Keighley

KP Entertainment

hiya a pal of mines father worked at the royal victoria hotel as a night porter, or a porter working nights, anyhow he once told of the time working the lift, when a man came to the lift and asked my pals dad to take him to one of the floors,it was only when the chap spoke that he recalled him from the cinema it was bela lugosi of the horror films. this was in the 1950s

Edited by willybite

hiya a pal of mines father worked at the royal victoria hotel as a night porter, or a porter working nights, anyhow he once told of the time working the lift, when a man came to the lift and asked my pals dad to take him to one of the floors,it was only when the chap spoke that he recalled him from the cinema it was bella luggosi of the horror films. this was in the 1950s
Yes - it would have been September 1951 when Béla Lugosi appeared at the Lyceum with the Dracula stage show - see here. My dad saw the show and said it gave him nightmares..:o

• 2 years later...

hello there

My father was a porter for some years at the Royal Vic, so I was interested to come across your information about research.

My father is 82 now and quite unwell. for father's day I would like to do him a collection of memories from people who used to work at the Royal Vic and the Grand Hotel - he worked at both hotels for years. I plan to put the memories in a scrapbook for him - I know he will love it.

I'd be interested to hear also about the events that were organised.

thanks

angela

• 1 year later...

Holiday Inn Royal Victoria - history and 150th anniversary events.

Here is a boring post to add lengthness to this short thread. My experiences of the Royal Vic were mainly to do with autograph collecting during late 60's - mid 70's.

1. General manager at the time was Mr. Peter? Wainwright, who was big friends with Brian Clough and Peter Taylor - management at Derby County football club. Derby stayed at this hotel for lunch when they played matches in Sheffield.

2. When Millwall came to play an evening match at Hillsborough in 1973, the team stayed at the Royal Vic. I had got into conversation whilst collecting autographs and was invited into the hotel by Millwall manager Benny Fenton. Mr Fenton, and the Millwall trainer, Jack Blackman and me enjoyed coffee and biscuits whilst chatting football.I also got a lift to the match on the team coach, and I watched the match for free. Millwall lost 3-2, Alf Wood scored both Millwall goals.

This was the only occasion I have been in the Royal Victoria hotel.

3. When footballers requested personal [disciplinary] hearings with the F.A.,those hearings always took place in this hotel. This applied to all northern teams. The hearings always took place on Thursday's. I was often there for autographs. It was best to get the signatures before the player or [managers] went in, before any of them were banned for six weeks. lol. It was the norm in those days for players to be banned for weeks as opposed to games. Today's punishments are soft.

4. On Friday and Saturday evenings, many drinkers of Sheffield did the Wicker Waggle. The waggle was a tour of the 6 pubs on the Wicker, and other pubs in the area close to the Wicker. Some drinkers went up the steps from the Wicker to the Royal Victoria to imbibe at the Planters bar in the hotel. Now you know.