Imagine World Peace

My monthly expenditure would improve the lives of about twenty Ethiopian tribesmen, if I didn't use it all up myself.
True but you giving it up wouldn't improve your standard of living, it would reduce it while improving theirs. So you're not actually improving or even maintaining your own living standards.

It isn't hypocritical to want to improve other peoples living standards while maintaining your own. If you felt women were persecuted against you wouldn't get a sex change because its hypocritical to support equality while being a man.

I think everyone in the western world is gulity of that to a greater or lesser extent. I give to charity, perhaps more so than most, but I don't reduce my living standards to anything vaguely approximating that in an African village and donate everything above that level to people worse off than I am. And yet, I believe fairly strongly that the West should do more to help raise the standard of living in the rest of the world.

That has been done for several decades by the richer western countries but all too often the money never gets to where it shoul but in the pockets of corrupt leaders instead.

Despite the millions of dollars donated to Haiti after the earthquake thousands of people are still living in tents

It isn't hypocritical to want to improve other peoples living standards while maintaining your own. If you felt women were persecuted against you wouldn't get a sex change because its hypocritical to support equality while being a man.

Is it necessary though? As an example, take business equalling out the pay grades between men and women, there is only so much money in the business, so the money has to come from somewhere to make the equality.

It's not only the West-Japan, Hong Kong and now China and all the rest of the Emerging Market nations all want a slice of the action.

Well, everybody is really a slice of the action, if anything were the side letting down since all we seem to be concerned with is either sales or customer services, oh don't forget sport!

I watch News24 just because, but otherwise I watch RT (Russia Today), it's more like watching a science and business channel. The BBC has even dropped Working Lunch!

Archived