Who got the best result from a complaint?

I complained to ikea earlier this year when the £1100 sofa I bought didn't have matching shade cushions - one was dark brown leather and very crinkly, the other was a lighter shade and much smoother, even an idiot could have seen they didn't match! They totally ignored me so I posted a video on YouTube and posted a link to the BBC as well as writing to the MD of Ikea and suddenly they were ready to listen, replaced it with a brand new one and gave me cash compensation.

I bought a cake from Coop once for £6.50 .. when I got it home I realised it was 6 months out of date :o .. I called their customer satisfaction number on the box and they told me to throw away the cake and they would send me a refund. I received a Coop voucher for £10 ...personally I felt insulted. I should have taken the cake back and got my money back, not given money I can only spend in their store. In effect I received £3.50's worth of coop money as an apology for nearly poisoning me.

I bought a cake from Coop once for £6.50 .. when I got it home I realised it was 6 months out of date :o .. I called their customer satisfaction number on the box and they told me to throw away the cake and they would send me a refund. I received a Coop voucher for £10 ...personally I felt insulted. I should have taken the cake back and got my money back, not given money I can only spend in their store. In effect I received £3.50's worth of coop money as an apology for nearly poisoning me.

Seems a bit thin, but a cake six months over date isn't really going to poison you is it? It'll just be rather dry.

I wrote to dolmio to complain that they had changed the receipe for their sauce and the new one was completely disgusting and that i would not buy it again. They sent me a voucher for £5 to spend on their products.

I think the sales have gone down on this particular brand as I have had sent to me a new receipe pouch of the stuff to see if i like that. I suggested that the new 'new' pouch is not really as good as the original and if they want to see the sales rise to go back to the old version.

I wrote to dolmio to complain that they had changed the receipe for their sauce and the new one was completely disgusting and that i would not buy it again. They sent me a voucher for £5 to spend on their products.

I think the sales have gone down on this particular brand as I have had sent to me a new receipe pouch of the stuff to see if i like that. I suggested that the new 'new' pouch is not really as good as the original and if they want to see the sales rise to go back to the old version.

What d'ya think you'll get back off the hair dye people ? :D

A long time ago, I went to argos on my lunch break at Christmas to buy a pair of £1.99 headphones. Eventually gave up waiting after 15 minutes or so (there were no staff around) and came back the next day - the next day, they berated me for not waiting and said although it wasn't policy, on this occasion they would give me the headphones (that i'd paid for!).

Wrote a letter of complaint to the MD and a few weeks later a nice grovelling apology and a cheque for £30 turned up. Not bad for a £2 purchase :).

I also wrote to travelodge after they gave us 2 uncleaned rooms (out of a booking of 4) and then took 30 minutes to find us new ones. They sent me a voucher for a free stay in any of their hotels on any date which was quite nice.

I think these days complaints are a bit more difficult to get resolved happily - 5 years ago you could guarantee a good result by writing personally to the MD by name and you would usually get a letter back from their PA. These days, any letters sent to the MD get passed to the customer relations department and usually treated like any other correspondence.

We complained to First Choice about the total disaster they made of my wedding. After a lot of writing back and forth as well as going to arbitration they gave us around £3,000.

At a restaurant recently I just mentioned that I had a little bit of foil in my dessert just in passing and we weren't charged for that or the extra chips we got with our main.

Archived