Broken washing machine

How old's the washing machine?

If it's an oldish machine with a normal motor rather than an impeller one, I would bet that it's the brushes on the motor that have gone. Dead easy to replace and cheap - about a tenner.

There is a way to (hopefully) get another cycle or two out of the machine - i.e. testing to see if it is the brushes but it involves taking the top off the machine and what not (basically you turn the power off, wait about half an hour, push the old brushes towards the motor, put top back on and power up and see if it works). If in doubt, don't do it though - 230v will give you a nice shock.

G

Waste of money. You have to empty the washing and only put some of it back in to dry as they seldom take the same capacity washing as tumble drying. And when they break down that's both your dryer and your washer gone. We have our dryer in the cellar cos not enough room for both in the kitchen and would never buy another washer dryer - false economy. When you're washing, you can't be drying and vice versa

I agree - had the same issues with my old one

Hi if you still require help with this give me a call - I don't charge a call out fee and my estimates are free so ill come and tell you what the problem is & the cost to repair and then it's down to you to decide if you want to go ahead or not - no obligation! Cheers Craig

Had a similar problem the other day. Came home from work to be told by the wife that the washer was broken. It was half full of water and would not empty - or do anything else.

Checked the pump first and found a very shiny 2p coin, my daughter's bracelet and a 2" nail as well as a lot of gunk.

Amazingly the pump had not broken or burnt out so it was just a case of putting it back together again.

It's a messy job, especially if it's your first attempt, but with a little care and attention you could save yourself a load of money.

if you have water in the drum then it is more than likely your pump rather than a circuit board as some one has said.

the machine will not spin if you have water still inside.

most probably coins / keys / hairgrips and alike.

if you take out your outlet hose (the thick grey ribbed one) and lower it into a bucket/basin then the water should drain.

SWITCH OFF THE MACHINE AND UNPLUG IT

underneath if you look there will be a large normally black rubber tube that will fit onto the bottom of your plastic outer drum.

undo this from the drum and follow it along to your pump.

undo the pump side if you cannot see anything inside this black rubber tube usually a sock or handkerchief. then check inside your pump you can usually put your finger inside the fan blades and turn it.

also check the pump where the grey ribbed outlet hose connects all these usually connect with a jubilee type fastening.

and hope fully this will cure it.

Archived