Going skiing - Any tips for Val d`Isere

Just an update.

Skiing there is brilliant, loads of runs, no waiting, very well organised lifts, gondolas and a funival train thing. Buses run the length of the resort every 5 mins and are free. It's not very good for beginners though, the green runs are pretty tricky for green runs and to get to the tranquil green run area for a beginner you need to go down some pretty big slopes.

Food, 12-18 Euros for a pizza / pasta burger. Steak, lamb, fish type meals 20 or more.

Beer, 5-8 euros. They had some cider but it was even more expensive so I got away with my sneaky strongbows!

We stayed in La Daille which is five mins on the free bus to the main skiing area but next to the Furnival, the accommodation was basic to say the least! We even had a list of cleaning duties to be completed before we left as they obviously don't use cleaners and reception was only open for a couple of hours a day.

Overall it was great, it was not the expensive horror story that everyone made out. Don't get me wrong, you could easily spend a fortune but if you are on a budget you don't need to starve. If you do go and you are on a budget then eat in the bar opposite Le Daille, food was great and cheaper than all the places right in the centre.

Final note, looking at all the casualties, get good insurance!

Forgot to say, the apartment was self catering and there was an expensive Spar over the road which sold all the usual stuff so you can easily cook for yourself if you fancy. Skiing on real snow is completely different but I still would not recommend the place for beginners.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, Nee*eek. :)

I live in a skiing resort (and it's about 10 miles from a mega-famous [and mega high priced] resort.

We've got the Alpine Ski Weltmeisterschaft here next month ... so I'm going to Florida :hihi: This place will be a very good place to be if you're skiing in the competition and it will be the place to go to see it - but if you live here, it will be a pain in the bum because wherever you go you will be held up by bloody tourists! :(

(If anybody on the forum is happening to be looking for a place to stay during the Alpine Weltmeisterschaft, p-mail me ;)) ... Alles machbar, Herr Nachbar :hihi:

As you've obviously discovered, it is possible to stay in an expensive resort without paying silly prices.

Back to your post:

When you stay in an FeWo, you rent the property (and all therein) and your rental ordinarily includes 1 set of Bettwäsche (bed linens) you can hand in a dirty set, but if you want them laundered during your time there, you are expected to use the laundry facilities in the basement (which are there for your use ... you can also wash your own clothes ;))

I know where you can rent a 3/4 bedroomed house which sleeps 6/8 people for £600 a week in peak season. The price would include 1 set of laundry (and would probably include a charge of about £60 if you didn't clean it.)

Alternatively, of course, I can find you an hotel which will charge you £100 for two people per night. (I'd probably have to double that if you want an hotel in Sheffield ;))

The skiing is the same.

Val is well known as one of the most expensive resorts in france, it's nice, but you can't go somewhere like that and expect it to be cheap. Tignes its one valley over and noticeably better value.

Looking at the ski map Tignes is made up of mostly black runs! Anyway, I never expected it to be cheap in Val which is why I asked if anyone had any experience of it.

No, that's not true at all, it's not even close to true.

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/France/Tignes.html

25 Black Runs (21km)

46 Red Runs (58km)

61 Blue Runs (100km)

22 Green Runs (121km)

Many regard L'Espace Killy as one of the best ski areas in Europe, and some regard it as definitively THE best. The 300km (187 miles) of trails include seemingly endless snowy motorways for intermediates to cruise around on, whilst experts will find more to entertain here than almost anywhere else on the continent, both on and off the slopes.

Tignes is perfectly suited for beginners, more so than Val in my opinion (and I've boarded around both lots), although they both have plenty to offer for all levels of ability.

I wasn't suggesting that you'd expected it to be cheap, but

it was not the expensive horror story that everyone made out.
despite this, it is one of the most expensive resorts in Europe.

http://www.tignes.co.uk/pistemap.htm

Piste map for the whole espace killy

Archived