Crime stoppers rewards

I read in the search for Jo Yeates (the murdered Bristol architect), that crime stoppers have offered a £10000 reward (like they often do), what I don't get is why someone would need a reward incentive before coming forward with information. If you had information for a crime would you only help if a reward was offered?

It wouldn`t just be a phone call. It`d be a lot of bother and mither lasting months, so yes, I`d need rewarding for my time.

What a selfish view! What about if someone from your family was murdered? Surely you'd want anyone who can help to come forward?

I think rewards are usually aimed at fellow criminals as an incentive to grass up a mate, rather than members of the general public?

if i was ever a witness to a serious crime (i hope i never will be) of course i would come forward regardless of any reward offered, obviously if a reward was offered i would take it but the reward wouldnt sway my decision in any way to come forward and speak up about what i know!

yes, I`d need rewarding for my time.

What a selfish view! What about if someone from your family was murdered? Surely you'd want anyone who can help to come forward?

I think rewards are usually aimed at fellow criminals as an incentive to grass up a mate, rather than members of the general public?

Says it all really.

There are a number of reasons that might deter people from coming forward with information: the threat of retribution, for instance, if their information concerns a family member who has committed an offence, or it will be obvious to the criminal that they're the ones who have informed. Many families have it brainwashed into them that the worst thing you can ever do is to help out the police, regardless of what the particular case is about. There's Noob's point about the time and effort involved; some people have even more trivial reasons.

In an ideal world, none of those deterrents would dissuade somebody from doing the right thing. Very few human beings are ideal - I certainly am not - and providing a cash incentive might just tip the balance in a few cases and persuade someone that it's worth doing the right thing after all.

It shouldn't be necessary, but since it does sometimes work let's carry on with it.

Not really. If I have to take time out and go through all that boring paperwork, and lineups, Id be wanting at least 10 G`s floating into the account.

Archived