Irresponsible Dog Owners

I have to agree - my dog really is as soft as a brush but I still would not leave her alone with a young child- never take my westie out without a lead but the amount of times i've taken her for a walk and been petrified when I've seen some of the bigger or smaller muscular dogs off leads. Everyone says their dog won't bite but at the end of the day it's an animal!

Very true, sometimes when in a bad mood i have been known to bite! :hihi:

I got 'slated' on the pet forum for saying people should be more careful about letting their dogs run free. A few said 'oh , but dogs do escape', well, that is not acceptable when kids are getting scared. How damned hard is it to keep your dog under control? If you cannot manage it then you should not have a dog.

Think I know who the dogs owner is and have been informed of a similar incident with the same dog who bit a young boy on our road only a few months ago. I think the owners are too lazy to walk it and just let it out, think I will be having a few words I can tell you. As to walking dogs off leads, I have owned dogs for over 10 years, there are certain dogs that shouldnt ever be let off the lead in public spaces, even the most seemingly mild mannered dog can change as I know from experience, our old lurcher was the softest thing in the world but in his last year he completely changed, we now have a springer spaniel who loves anything that breathes but I respect not everyone wants licking to death!

Why not blame the dog?

If the dog chooses to live in our society then - when in Rome, do as the Romans do etc....

Owners cannot always be responsible for the actions of a dog, in the same way my budgie is not responsible for the actions I take

I was walking my dog recently (and on a leash) and this whippet type cross came over snapping and snarling at my little dog it soon ran back to its owner when it felt my size 10 left foot. The owner came over apologising profusely and said "he does,nt normally do that, he only had 10 stitches took out the other day because another dog had got hold of him" to which i replied "does,nt experience tell you to keep the dog on a lead and under control.:hihi:

i am a staffy owner and lover of the breed. Pleas, to the original poster in this thread, please don't allow this one incident to give you the prejudice most other members of the public have towards the breed. BUT i do agree ALL dogs should be on the lead when off private property.

Why not blame the dog?

If the dog chooses to live in our society then - when in Rome, do as the Romans do etc....

Owners cannot always be responsible for the actions of a dog, in the same way my budgie is not responsible for the actions I take

This serious?

BUT i do agree ALL dogs should be on the lead when off private property.

What a daft statement. I take my dogs out twice a day in the countryside and they are perfectly fine off the lead. I know many people who walk their dogs off leads and have no problems. I can even walk thru a field of sheep and they won't even bat an eyelid.

Infact the most problems i get are from the anti-social owners who insist on keeping their dogs on leads and won't let them play. Dogs need to let off steam now and then.

Its the irresponsible owners who don't socialize their dogs, treat them badly that causes the problems. Dogs are learning creatures and if trained and kept well will love you for life not bite you lol.

My attitude as a runner: thank anyone who makes an effort to keep me safe from their dog by moving to one side or otherwise keeping the dog controlled via a shortened leash or such, and if all else fails and I think I am about to get bit I will try and kick the dog.

Would hate to do it, but better to be pulled to court over animal cruelty than be injured and the dog be destroyed.

Anyway, not come to that yet thanks to 90% good owners and Victoria Stillwell helping me deal with the dogs of the last 10% :)