Letting in the new year

Oh yes, that was another tradition, that the house must be scrupulously clean, all the linen changed, washing and ironing done, fire freshly made.

My mother always used to say that if you were in a muddle and mess on NYE, you'd be in a muddle and a mess all year long. And that whatever you were doing on NYE would be the same all year. So if you're sitting on your own tonight feeling sad and lonely ... don't expect much from 2011 :o

My southern jessie OH won't let me do the washing on NYE and NYD. He says it's something to do with washing someone out of your life on NYE and washing someone in on NYD. Is this a southern thing?

My southern jessie OH won't let me do the washing on NYE and NYD. He says it's something to do with washing someone out of your life on NYE and washing someone in on NYD. Is this a southern thing?
I've never heard of that but she didn't actually do it on NYE ... it all had to be done before then!

We always had a big party on the actual evening with all the family. After midnight we kids would be top and tailed in beds and there'd be random aunties and uncles scattered around the house on mattresses and sofas and older cousins tucked away in odd corners to discover the next morning. I'm all nostalgic now :) Why is the past always so much more fun?

I've never heard of that but she didn't actually do it on NYE ... it all had to be done before then!

We always had a big party on the actual evening with all the family. After midnight we kids would be top and tailed in beds and there'd be random aunties and uncles scattered around the house on mattresses and sofas and older cousins tucked away in odd corners to discover the next morning. I'm all nostalgic now :) Why is the past always so much more fun?

We had the same sort of NYE parties at a relatives house. I was usually topped and tailed with a cousin in a neighbours house so goodness knows what the adults got up to with their sleeping arrangements next door:o:hihi: Then we'd get the bus home on NYD stopping off one year at the C&A sales. Looking back I can't believe that buses used to run on NYD. I wasn't dreaming it was I?

There always seems to be some stupid competition to see who can set off the loudest firework before anyone else but doing it before an acceptable time i.e. 5 mins before midnight is not acceptable. I can imagine some furtive little oike just itching to let one off; they are probably stood over the firework, taper in hand, watching the seconds tick down on their fake Rolex wrist watch. A complete embarrassment to mankind.

Archived