The Dog and Gun..

hi, just wondering if anyone remembers a pub in Sheffield called The Dog and Gun? My late grandparents used to be landlord and landlady of the place sometime after the war. I'm just interested to know if anyone out there remembers the place or my grandparents who were Joe and Anne Staniforth. I think it was somewhere near glossop road but not certain. Anyway, look forward to hearing any storys if anyone has any.

The Dog & Gun was a popular name for a pub in town,in the late 18th Century there was one at No 108 Carver St, another one was at No 122 Trafalgar St demolished in the 1900s,one on Button Lane at No 102 and the one meant in this thread was at No18 Headford St.

hi, just wondering if anyone remembers a pub in Sheffield called The Dog and Gun? My late grandparents used to be landlord and landlady of the place sometime after the war. I'm just interested to know if anyone out there remembers the place or my grandparents who were Joe and Anne Staniforth. I think it was somewhere near glossop road but not certain. Anyway, look forward to hearing any storys if anyone has any.

hiya alfieblade how could i forget the dog and gun, more to the point how could i forget joe and anne staniforth, and their son michael, and daughter mary. from 1957, till 1960, i went in there each night i was around 19 at the time, the last time i saw anne and daughter mary was on a weekend trip to london the only time i went there, they were with the greens who lived on milton street not sure if mike was married to their daughter was it harry green, his wife was a good piano player in the pub, joe was working at bensons the carpet people i think he was a carpet fitter, some years later my son was working for the same bill benson, and i asked him to ask about your granddad, and some of the older ones remembered him. going back to the dog as we called it it was a real homely pub, and on cold winter evenings there would always be a roaring fire below the dartboard, and joe and anne always put great buffets on on gamess nights,i remember the piano on the back wall,i remember going to play darts on a games night at the normanton springs hotel one night and joe came up to me and said i havn't bought you a 21st birthday drink what will you have i said a pint please to which he said let me get you the best drink i know, he bought me a double brandy in a tall glass filled with stone ginger, it was really good. joe was the only landlord i ever remember having a shave when my mate and me went in early telling us to pull our own pints and he would collect when he was ready, i remember his v8 pilot car. he also had a very neat tash i remember.

ps just remembered the waiter on in the pub was called jack may. and talking about the pub i remember one sunday lunch we were having game of darts a 1 to 20 and bull and i only threw 5 or 6 darts and we had won,it started off i had one dart at one and the next throw i had was at the bull, i missed and the next set i hit the bull my partner that day went` from one to bull before he sat down.

Edited by willybite

hiya alfieblade how could i forget the dog and gun, more to the point how could i forget joe and anne staniforth, and their son michael, and daughter mary. from 1957, till 1960, i went in there each night i was around 19 at the time, the last time i saw anne and daughter mary was on a weekend trip to london the only time i went there, they were with the greens who lived on milton street not sure if mike was married to their daughter was it harry green, his wife was a good piano player in the pub, joe was working at bensons the carpet people i think he was a carpet fitter, some years later my son was working for the same bill benson, and i asked him to ask about your granddad, and some of the older ones remembered him. going back to the dog as we called it it was a real homely pub, and on cold winter evenings there would always be a roaring fire below the dartboard, and joe and anne always put great buffets on on gamess nights,i remember the piano on the back wall,i remember going to play darts one night and joe came up to me and said i havn't bought you a 21st birthday drink what will you have i said a pint please to which he said let me get you the best drink i know, he bought me a double brandy in a tall glass filled with stone ginger, it was really good. joe was the only landlord i ever remember having a shave when my mate and me went in early telling us to pull our own pints and he would collect when he was ready, i remember his v8 pilot car. he also had a very neat tash i remember.

Hi Willybite, thanks for that, when i was a kid i can always remember my mum (mary) talking to my gradparents about times they had at the Dog and Gun. These storys although i dont remember many now always used to end in laughter, and they seemed like such happy days. Harry was my uncle michaels father in law and harrys wife was murial. Uncle michael married their daughter Anne who is my auntie. Grandad (joe) did work at bensons. He was also a very keen fisherman and when i was little i spent many an hour on Dam Flask with him. He served in the army during the war in the dessert rats if i remember rightly and i always felt so proud of him. He died about 23 years ago unfortunatly but still to this day ive never had a friend like him. I think i can safely say i bet my nan anne was behind the buffets as she was always cooking and baking when we were younger. A very dignified lady my nan with a heart of gold. Lost nan about 6/7 years ago now. My mum mary married my dad trevor, and went on to have myself and my 3 brothers. Sadly she passed away 20years ago think she would have bwwn 65 now. There isn't many left i can ask about the old days and enjoyed reading what you had to say. Speak soon, Alfieblade

Hi Willybite, thanks for that, when i was a kid i can always remember my mum (mary) talking to my gradparents about times they had at the Dog and Gun. These storys although i dont remember many now always used to end in laughter, and they seemed like such happy days. Harry was my uncle michaels father in law and harrys wife was murial. Uncle michael married their daughter Anne who is my auntie. Grandad (joe) did work at bensons. He was also a very keen fisherman and when i was little i spent many an hour on Dam Flask with him. He served in the army during the war in the dessert rats if i remember rightly and i always felt so proud of him. He died about 23 years ago unfortunatly but still to this day ive never had a friend like him. I think i can safely say i bet my nan anne was behind the buffets as she was always cooking and baking when we were younger. A very dignified lady my nan with a heart of gold. Lost nan about 6/7 years ago now. My mum mary married my dad trevor, and went on to have myself and my 3 brothers. Sadly she passed away 20years ago think she would have bwwn 65 now. There isn't many left i can ask about the old days and enjoyed reading what you had to say. Speak soon, Alfieblade

hiya alfieblade, glad to read your letter about the old district some of the customers the dog and gun had the regulars were all great the ones i remember. sorry to read about your family they are still fresh in my minds eye.

reading this brings back a lot of memories of fifty odd years ago, like the fishing trip your granddad got up for us one year when he ran the book he knew what he was doing when laying the odds there were 5/1, 6/1, and so on when he got to my mate and me he said you two each 1000/1 so we had 2/6d or 12 1/2 p today each way which at the time was 5 bob or nearly 5 pints of beer we didn't weigh in either of us,i remember your grandad had a brother who was blind but i remember he could play dominoes, and when anybody dropped a coin on the floor say half a crown 2 and 6 d he would say i'll give you two bob for that, always less than the coin that was dropped, another was george dailey , he was a steel erector he could sink his beer , a few years later after i moved out of the area i met another steel erector who knew george and told me he would clamber up girders using the rivet heads to climb up just think on a monday morning. there were a lot of greens around at the time, smiths as well these were all brothers or cousins .

talk again alfieblade not by chance a unitedite are you.

hiya alfieblade just read your letter below, it was george who was blind

Edited by willybite

hi Willybite, yes i'm a unitedite im afraid! Love my football, used to play a bit when i was younger but not for a few years now. Your more likely to find me on a bankside somewhere than running around a field these days. Think my grandad had a few brothers. Martin, George and Harry but not 100% certain. One story that sticks in my mind that he told me was during his time at bensons. He said he'd fitted a lovely new carpet for a lady and when he'd finished he felt in his pockets for his cigarretes. They wasn't there and as he looked around the room he noticed a small lump under the carpet. He thought no way was he taking up his finely laid carpet for the sake of a few cigs so proceeded to squash it down with his foot to hide the lump. As the lady of the house came in to check her new carpet unaware of grandads little accident she asked him if he'd seen her budgie while he'd been working. No love he replied and thought nothing more of it till he returned to his van and found his cigs on the dashboard! He may have been pulling my leg as i was only a kid when he told me that. Nan and Grandad ended up living on cemetry avenue just of ecclesall road. They lived there for as long as i can remember until he passed away then nan moved into a flat up bents green. She always spoke fondly of her days at the Dog and Gun. I spoke to my cousin earlier about your memories, she's michaels daughter. She was interested in what i told her and said she would tell michael. He'll obviously know a lot more than me. When i next speak to her i'll find out what he has said and let you know. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, chat soon, Alfieblade (Carl)

hi Willybite, yes i'm a unitedite im afraid! Love my football, used to play a bit when i was younger but not for a few years now. Your more likely to find me on a bankside somewhere than running around a field these days. Think my grandad had a few brothers. Martin, George and Harry but not 100% certain. One story that sticks in my mind that he told me was during his time at bensons. He said he'd fitted a lovely new carpet for a lady and when he'd finished he felt in his pockets for his cigarretes. They wasn't there and as he looked around the room he noticed a small lump under the carpet. He thought no way was he taking up his finely laid carpet for the sake of a few cigs so proceeded to squash it down with his foot to hide the lump. As the lady of the house came in to check her new carpet unaware of grandads little accident she asked him if he'd seen her budgie while he'd been working. No love he replied and thought nothing more of it till he returned to his van and found his cigs on the dashboard! He may have been pulling my leg as i was only a kid when he told me that. Nan and Grandad ended up living on cemetry avenue just of ecclesall road. They lived there for as long as i can remember until he passed away then nan moved into a flat up bents green. She always spoke fondly of her days at the Dog and Gun. I spoke to my cousin earlier about your memories, she's michaels daughter. She was interested in what i told her and said she would tell michael. He'll obviously know a lot more than me. When i next speak to her i'll find out what he has said and let you know. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, chat soon, Alfieblade (Carl)

hiya alffieblade its when i've read the posts on this thread that i've realised just how things have changed from when i went in the dog and gun ,where it was say, if you were to stand at the corner of fitzwilliam st and wellington st imagine a line about as far as half a mile across the road you would have the dog and gun, there were, fitzwilliam lane, thomas st, thomas lane ,then headford st, on another thread i counted the pubs locally within a quarter of an hours walk from where i lived on bath st., when the dog was the nearest one, it was two minutes away. there were 22 pubs there may have been more, how did they make it pay at less than 6 pence a pint.

if you talk to michael ask if he remembers some of the names around at the time,one was jackie hudson, there were the saxons opposite, the roomes, shaws, george mottram next door to the pub, harry up the yard ,he had a fruit and veg barrow at the side of the salvation army citadel on cross burgess st,the creaser's,the cotton's.

Edited by willybite

• 1 year later...