The Dog and Gun..

hi, just wondering if anyone remembers a pub in Sheffield called The Dog and Gun? My late grandparents used to be landlord and landlady of the place sometime after the war. I'm just interested to know if anyone out there remembers the place or my grandparents who were Joe and Anne Staniforth. I think it was somewhere near glossop road but not certain. Anyway, look forward to hearing any storys if anyone has any.

Dog and Gun

18 Headford Street, S3

Open 1833 Closed 1962 Span 129

Comments

Earlier

1854 Samuel Champion

1856 Thomas Platts / Samual Champion

1859 Samual Wingfield

1862 to 1865 John Sanderson

1868 John Sanderson

1871 John Sanderson

1876 Mrs Margaret Sanderson

1879 John Henry Sanderson

1881 John Henry Sanderson

1883 John Henry Sanderson

1887 Tom Sharp

1888 - 89 William Henry Facer

1890 Bernard Appleby

1893 Albert Genn

1895 -6 Joseph Dorsey

1898 William Buxley or Busby

1900 Arthur John Heaton

1901 Arthur James Heaton

1902 Arthur James Heaton

1903 James W Warner

1905 Robert Johnson

1907 Robert Johnson

1910 to 1913 Robert Johnson

1916 -17 Frank Turtle

1919 to 1924 Frank Turtle

1925 Mrs Kate Turtle

1929 Mrs Kate Turtle

1931 to 1933 Mrs Kate Cotterill

1936 to 1939 Richard Frith

1942 Arthur James Froggatt

1944 Arthur James Froggatt

1948 Arthur James Froggatt

1951 Joseph Tew

Unfortunately there were four Dog And Guns including Headford St, 108.Carver St / 122 Trafalgar St /102 Button Lane and as you can see there are No Staniforths at the one on Headford St

Button Lane D&G closed in 1917/ Carver St D&G closed in 1871 / Trafalgar St D&G Closed 1910 and I cant see any Staniforths on the lists of keepers.It could have been that they worked at the one on Headford St and didnt actually run it but only your family would know that.

Edited by lazarus

Dog and Gun

18 Headford Street, S3

Open 1833 Closed 1962 Span 129

Comments

Earlier

1854 Samuel Champion

1856 Thomas Platts / Samual Champion

1859 Samual Wingfield

1862 to 1865 John Sanderson

1868 John Sanderson

1871 John Sanderson

1876 Mrs Margaret Sanderson

1879 John Henry Sanderson

1881 John Henry Sanderson

1883 John Henry Sanderson

1887 Tom Sharp

1888 - 89 William Henry Facer

1890 Bernard Appleby

1893 Albert Genn

1895 -6 Joseph Dorsey

1898 William Buxley or Busby

1900 Arthur John Heaton

1901 Arthur James Heaton

1902 Arthur James Heaton

1903 James W Warner

1905 Robert Johnson

1907 Robert Johnson

1910 to 1913 Robert Johnson

1916 -17 Frank Turtle

1919 to 1924 Frank Turtle

1925 Mrs Kate Turtle

1929 Mrs Kate Turtle

1931 to 1933 Mrs Kate Cotterill

1936 to 1939 Richard Frith

1942 Arthur James Froggatt

1944 Arthur James Froggatt

1948 Arthur James Froggatt

1951 Joseph Tew

Unfortunately there were four Dog And Guns including Headford St, 108.Carver St / 122 Trafalgar St /102 Button Lane and as you can see there are No Staniforths at the one on Headford St

Button Lane D&G closed in 1917/ Carver St D&G closed in 1871 / Trafalgar St D&G Closed 1910 and I cant see any Staniforths on the lists of keepers.It could have been that they worked at the one on Headford St and didnt actually run it but only your family would know that.

I think this list has been taken from the A to Z of pubs on the Sheffield History Site.

If you logg on to the site you will find other Dog and Guns of Sheffield.

I think this list has been taken from the A to Z of pubs on the Sheffield History Site.

If you logg on to the site you will find other Dog and Guns of Sheffield.

Yes jaffa1 that list is copied from sheffieldhistory.co.uk,

and a bit of credit to the site from lazarus would have been courteous.

;)

Yes jaffa1 that list is copied from sheffieldhistory.co.uk,

and a bit of credit to the site from lazarus would have been courteous.

;)

You can see its been copied from Sheffield History and anyone who knows me knows full well that I didnt mention S.H. out of getting a "Ooh isnt he clever" remarks. It was just an oversight, Everthing I use from S.H. that I get printed I always give them credit

hi, just wondering if anyone remembers a pub in Sheffield called The Dog and Gun? My late grandparents used to be landlord and landlady of the place sometime after the war. I'm just interested to know if anyone out there remembers the place or my grandparents who were Joe and Anne Staniforth. I think it was somewhere near glossop road but not certain. Anyway, look forward to hearing any storys if anyone has any.

hiya alfie blade08. can't hold the fact you are a unitedite against you ha ha

where the dog and gun was from the gates of springfield school at the corner of broomspring lane and cavendish st it was a few minutes walk away down thomas st along bath st it was on the corner of bath and headford sts,

just remembered on another post of mine can you imagine around the fourties and fifties there were within 15 minutes walk around the dog and gun pub twenty two other pubs, makes you wonder dunit how they managed.

ps i can still name them all.

ps there was a barn of sorts and a stable i think in the yard, it was i think used years ago but not in my time.

Edited by willybite

Just found this site. My grandparents and uncles went in the dog most nights, they lived next to saxtons and the roomes. They were called coles - sally and ernest.

hiya springonion i remember your g/parents and uncles, seem to remember them living in thomas lane next door to the moss's during the war,also living on cavendish st, and in headford st, the other names around at the time were the shore's who were related to the saxons, tommy holmes the bookmaker albert and nellie smith and pat,sylvia, michael, brian and kennie hague. ron,doug, ridge ray creaser, cramptons,stirlings,

ps another name was billy miller lived with his dad harry up the yard below the pub, there were padley's

ps sorry alfie blade terry smith, his sister joyce was a pal of your mums when they were young i remember, ,

see if your uncle michael remembers barry piercy lived other side from the pub, i see him odd times ,he married one of the goodison girls.

Edited by willybite

Hi willybite i remember some of the names, can you remember billy miller's wife irene and his mum edith? And do you remember a bookmaker called Bill Cuningham? If knock knock the copper came round he would hide in my grandmother's till the coast was clear, by the way my gran had 5 boys and 1 girl rita. I'm one of rita's daughters.

Hi willybite i remember some of the names, can you remember billy miller's wife irene and his mum edith? And do you remember a bookmaker called Bill Cuningham? If knock knock the copper came round he would hide in my grandmother's till the coast was clear, by the way my gran had 5 boys and 1 girl rita. I'm one of rita's daughters.

hiya i do remember the names you mentioned ,now irene this was irene padley wasn't it i recall a boy named roger as well, they were related to the roomes , also harry i think he had a fruit and veg barrow just outside the citadel on cross burgess st, i remember him walking on bath st after having a skinful and throwing all his loose change `for the kids , and the bookie you say bill cuningham i think youre mixing the names a bit it was george cuningam ( cunnie, a short well built short haired bloke ) and it was bill harrison, he lived in thomas st his son was called brian, last i heard brian went to live in america. arthur owen was a lookout with the waites brothers bill and freddie,another was one called jock. there was always a mob of punters bang opposite the dog and gun, you said about knock knock the policeman, there was another one called ron siddall he was brought up on monmouth st the son of siddalls dairy family, he used to give them a runaround

i once saw him take his helmet off to peer at them round the corner of bath and thomas sts in fact i wrote on another post about the time as he was a local lad he knew all the ins and outs he once went in elliots pub and asked if he could use their back yard lav and he climbed over the wall into a yard near brush works and strolled down the entry to be in the midst of the punters,they had a real shock.

Edited by willybite

hiya again just remembered another dog tale, no pun intended, about the time we were having a friendly match one thursday before christmas that year we were playing the pub on spital hill, can't remember its name but will find it amongst the grey cells, anyway i think it was boxing day there was a shooting and some were killed, often wondered if they played on that night. a/ blade just remembered the pub name it was the east house.

Edited by willybite