The Dog and Gun..

Hi willybite i remember some of the names, can you remember billy miller's wife irene and his mum edith? And do you remember a bookmaker called Bill Cuningham? If knock knock the copper came round he would hide in my grandmother's till the coast was clear, by the way my gran had 5 boys and 1 girl rita. I'm one of rita's daughters.

hiya springonion the ones in your family were a little older than me but when i read your letter the name dennis came to me was this one of their names.like i've said before at 74 you expect to fail sometimes, but the saxons joe, daughter shiela, the rooms terry,pat, and the shores,sam,gladys,roy,billy they were related to the saxons.

Edited by willybite

Dog and Gun

18 Headford Street, S3

Open 1833 Closed 1962 Span 129

Comments

Earlier

1854 Samuel Champion

1856 Thomas Platts / Samual Champion

1859 Samual Wingfield

1862 to 1865 John Sanderson

1868 John Sanderson

1871 John Sanderson

1876 Mrs Margaret Sanderson

1879 John Henry Sanderson

1881 John Henry Sanderson

1883 John Henry Sanderson

1887 Tom Sharp

1888 - 89 William Henry Facer

1890 Bernard Appleby

1893 Albert Genn

1895 -6 Joseph Dorsey

1898 William Buxley or Busby

1900 Arthur John Heaton

1901 Arthur James Heaton

1902 Arthur James Heaton

1903 James W Warner

1905 Robert Johnson

1907 Robert Johnson

1910 to 1913 Robert Johnson

1916 -17 Frank Turtle

1919 to 1924 Frank Turtle

1925 Mrs Kate Turtle

1929 Mrs Kate Turtle

1931 to 1933 Mrs Kate Cotterill

1936 to 1939 Richard Frith

1942 Arthur James Froggatt

1944 Arthur James Froggatt

1948 Arthur James Froggatt

1951 Joseph Tew

Unfortunately there were four Dog And Guns including Headford St, 108.Carver St / 122 Trafalgar St /102 Button Lane and as you can see there are No Staniforths at the one on Headford St

Button Lane D&G closed in 1917/ Carver St D&G closed in 1871 / Trafalgar St D&G Closed 1910 and I cant see any Staniforths on the lists of keepers.It could have been that they worked at the one on Headford St and didnt actually run it but only your family would know that.

hiya your list finishes in 1951,the staniforth we are on about kept the dog and gun before i started going in 1957/8 until 1959 ok. the name was joe and anne staniforth ok again.another piece of useless info the mottrams lived next door, george.

Edited by willybite

• 2 weeks later...
hi, just wondering if anyone remembers a pub in Sheffield called The Dog and Gun? My late grandparents used to be landlord and landlady of the place sometime after the war. I'm just interested to know if anyone out there remembers the place or my grandparents who were Joe and Anne Staniforth. I think it was somewhere near glossop road but not certain. Anyway, look forward to hearing any storys if anyone has any.

hiya alfieblade, i have been on the sheffield city libraries picture it website and found a single dog and gun picture although it was taken just before the district was pulled down it was taken from the top of headford st and the dramshop can be seen at the lefthand side, on the site its under SLUMS headford st this is the only one i've found.

• 1 month later...
Hello willybite just got your reply. yes my mother had a brother called dennis but sadly he died at just 35 in about 1958. I've also got a cousin called dennis so may be its him you can remember.

hiya no it was the one who died sorry about the delay, in 1958 i was 20 this was just before i left the district in '61 as a few months later all of them did.i lived in the yard where the bookie stood like i said they were a bit older than me but i knew all the family as i lived there from 1940.

• 2 years later...

Hi, Alffiblade08 and all who are interested in the Dog & Gun Headford Street.

I came across this tread whilst doing some research on old Sheffield and I can fill in the final episode of the Dog & Gun.

I was living in the pub with my parents from around 1958 up to 1963 when the pub closed for demolition.

My dad owned a business at the bottom of Headford Street, C H Beatson & Sons. It was a fishing rod ferule and light alloy manufacturers and he drank in the Dog & Gun regular. We lived on Cemetery Avenue just off Ecclesall Rd .My dad sold this house to Jo & Anne Staniforth and bought the tenancy of the Dog & Gun

I was 11 when we left and I am now 62 but can remember a lot of the names mentioned on here, like Harry Green, Jack May, his son kept pigeons in the out building, George Dailey, Harry & Muriel Smith, Muriel played the piano, the Shaws,Ernest Cole, George Mottram and many more.

Alffiblade08, I lived with my wife and 3 kids at Bents Green for 22 years, I wonder if your nan Anne ever came in the Hammer & Pincers ?

---------- Post added 31-12-2014 at 13:54 ----------

Hi Willybite, thanks for that, when i was a kid i can always remember my mum (mary) talking to my gradparents about times they had at the Dog and Gun. These storys although i dont remember many now always used to end in laughter, and they seemed like such happy days. Harry was my uncle michaels father in law and harrys wife was murial. Uncle michael married their daughter Anne who is my auntie. Grandad (joe) did work at bensons. He was also a very keen fisherman and when i was little i spent many an hour on Dam Flask with him. He served in the army during the war in the dessert rats if i remember rightly and i always felt so proud of him. He died about 23 years ago unfortunatly but still to this day ive never had a friend like him. I think i can safely say i bet my nan anne was behind the buffets as she was always cooking and baking when we were younger. A very dignified lady my nan with a heart of gold. Lost nan about 6/7 years ago now. My mum mary married my dad trevor, and went on to have myself and my 3 brothers. Sadly she passed away 20years ago think she would have bwwn 65 now. There isn't many left i can ask about the old days and enjoyed reading what you had to say. Speak soon, Alfieblade
I remember your mum got married to Trevor, his dad was Arnold who owned the grocery shop at the corner of Cemetery Avenue and Ecclesall rd. Your dad will have known our family I have brother about the same age as your dad called phillip he is 66. I know your surname now but won't mention on here. I knew Harry and muriel very well even years after the pub closed. In fact they came to my wedding at Psalter Lane church then we went onto Tapton Hall in 1973, I was 21. They were big friends of my mum Hilda. When the moved to Gleadless and came to the New inn on Ecclesall rd we would give them a lift home , once in thick snow. Those were the day.

Hi, Alffiblade08 and all who are interested in the Dog & Gun Headford Street.

I came across this tread whilst doing some research on old Sheffield and I can fill in the final episode of the Dog & Gun.

I was living in the pub with my parents from around 1958 up to 1963 when the pub closed for demolition.

My dad owned a business at the bottom of Headford Street, C H Beatson & Sons. It was a fishing rod ferule and light alloy manufacturers and he drank in the Dog & Gun regular. We lived on Cemetery Avenue just off Ecclesall Rd .My dad sold this house to Jo & Anne Staniforth and bought the tenancy of the Dog & Gun

I was 11 when we left and I am now 62 but can remember a lot of the names mentioned on here, like Harry Green, Jack May, his son kept pigeons in the out building, George Dailey, Harry & Muriel Smith, Muriel played the piano, the Shaws,Ernest Cole, George Mottram and many more.

Alffiblade08, I lived with my wife and 3 kids at Bents Green for 22 years, I wonder if your nan Anne ever came in the Hammer & Pincers ?

---------- Post added 31-12-2014 at 13:54 ----------

I remember your mum got married to Trevor, his dad was Arnold who owned the grocery shop at the corner of Cemetery Avenue and Ecclesall rd. Your dad will have known our family I have brother about the same age as your dad called phillip he is 66. I know your surname now but won't mention on here. I knew Harry and muriel very well even years after the pub closed. In fact they came to my wedding at Psalter Lane church then we went onto Tapton Hall in 1973, I was 21. They were big friends of my mum Hilda. When the moved to Gleadless and came to the New inn on Ecclesall rd we would give them a lift home , once in thick snow. Those were the day.

hiya maxandzaffy, i remember your mum and dad very well as the landlord and landlady of the dog and gun when it was my local they were a lovely couple, your dad gave me a set of darts he had made out of fishing rod ferruls do you know the were the best darts ever, and i also tremember his workshop it was i think on the corner of milton st and headford st, i also remember another beatson his name was bryce beatson whose father had a workshop in the same buildings,i think they lived at millhouses.

Edited by willybite

hiya maxandzaffy, i remember your mum and dad very well as the landlord and landlady of the dog and gun when it was my local they were a lovely couple, your dad gave me a set of darts he had made out of fishing riod ferruls do you know the were the best darts ever, and i also tremember his workshop it was i think on the xcorner of milton st and headford st, i also remember another beatson his name was bryce beatson whosse father had a qworkshop THERE AS WELL
I spent hours playing darts in the tap room, but I was small so I stood closer to the board. Yes the workshop was at the corner of milton street. Bryce is my cousin his dad was Fred they had the cutlery factory it became Beatson - Drake. The dog was owned by Tetley's in Leeds. discovering this thread gives me the shivers, brings back lots of memories, good and bad.

I spent hours playing darts in the tap room, but I was small so I stood closer to the board. Yes the workshop was at the corner of milton street. Bryce is my cousin his dad was Fred they had the cutlery factory it became Beatson - Drake. The dog was owned by Tetley's in Leeds. discovering this thread gives me the shivers, brings back lots of memories, good and bad.

hiya bryce worked for the nickleson bothers one was called len the other was ernest who had a nephew called derek who were pattern makers, their place of work was in surmanco factory,

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 16:41 ----------

hiya,i still remember the flooring in the tap room just plain,no carpeting,we once asked joe why no carpets? his answer was what with you so and so's slopping ale all over, all i have to do is swill it out, and i remember the brass plate set in the floor for the throwing line for darts. and in the best room on the mantlepiece joe had a big pot that he kept snuff in for his customers,until he caught one filling his own snuff box

Edited by willybite

hiya bryce worked for the nickleson bothers one was called len who were pattern makers, their place of work was in surmanco factory,

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 16:41 ----------

hiya,i still remember the flooring in the tap room just plain,no carpeting,we once asked joe why no carpets? his answer was what with you so and so's slopping ale all over, all i have to do is swill it out, and i remember the brass plate set in the floor for the throwing line for darts. and in the best room on the mantlepiece joe had a big pot that he kept snuff in for his customers,until he caught one filling his own snuff box

I remember once i was playing with my toy cars in the tap room when the pub was closed, one of the cars went under the seats and I found a wad of money I gave it to mum who kept it behind the bar for ages I can't remember if anybody ever came back to claim it.

Yes the snuff was in an antler with a silver container and a stag on top, not sure where that came from.