How much would car insurance have to go up by - before you drive uninsured?

If everyone did take a stand and stopped paying for this legalised theft, then something would have to be done.

How many years can you as a person pay another 60% on top of your premium, when does it get too much? 2011, 2012, 2013 ???? what percentage of your net wages is acceptable to pay for this?

HOw many more years can we blame icy conditions in winter for massive hikes in insurance? how many more years do we have our premiums hiked, simply because of car crime that the police can't seem to do anything about?

What about an 18 year old? how on earth can £3000 ever be justified when the car bought is less than £400. My own insurance is actually more that what it was when I was 17 years old (I paid £450 then in 1991, I now pay over £700)

On that basis, an 18 year old of today, would be paying £6000 by the time they get to 35 years old, on the basis that they have 75% no claims (as I do).

There comes a time when financially it costs too much, and you do away with the insurance. For those who say "well your car will be crushed", I say "well fair enough, if it takes 5 years for mr to get caught, then £765 x 5 years =£3825 - which will put towards the cost of the next uninsured car

What about an 18 year old? how on earth can £3000 ever be justified when the car bought is less than £400. My own insurance is actually more that what it was when I was 17 years old (I paid £450 then in 1991, I now pay over £700)

I think its justified by the fact a £400 pile of junk can still wreck a £50k car and kill or main its occupants, particularly when ithe pile of junk is being driven by an 18 idiot.

If you are paying £700 as a 36 year old it just shows you are a crap driver, and the insurance is loaded because of that. I'm 23 and pay half that.

I think its justified by the fact a £400 pile of junk can still wreck a £50k car and kill or main its occupants, particularly when ithe pile of junk is being driven by an 18 idiot.

If you are paying £700 as a 36 year old it just shows you are a crap driver, and the insurance is loaded because of that. I'm 23 and pay half that.

I've got 18 years no claims - how does that make me a bad driver?

If the alternative is to join

the amount of uninsured drivers, I have to pay more to cover them WHY ?????
quoted from your original post, then yes, until such time as it becomes not worth it financially. Then I'd look at alternatives. What I would not do, which is what you seem to be advocating, is break the law. That really would be silly, wouldn't it?

I'm 26, been driving 2 years and made 2 claims, and mines about £500.

You need to shop around more. I only stick with the same insurer because they offer Multicar and are actually the cheapest for us.

If it came to the point that I couldn't afford my insurance, I would take my car off the road (sorn) and walk to work until I'd saved enough money to pay for it again.

Driving uninsured is never justified, so what if you can't afford it? Don't drive then! If you hit somebody and they are unable to claim they will be financially affected too.

Archived