How much would car insurance have to go up by - before you drive uninsured?

I have been hit by an uninsured car. Not as a driver, as a pedestrian. He lost control and mounted the pavement. Had he been insured, I may well have been given substantial compensation for my extremely serious injuries. Insurance is expensive, but could you really live with yourself if you seriously injured, or even killed someone, and you could not even try to recompense them?

All drivers are insured even those that are not insured, ime not sure of the figures but so much out of every £ goes into a pot that is why in part insurance is going up because the said pot is for paying out for injuries caused by uninsured drivers so you should have been given substantial compensation for your extremely serious injuries? did you not claim.

All drivers are insured even those that are not insured, ime not sure of the figures but so much out of every £ goes into a pot that is why in part insurance is going up because the said pot is for paying out for injuries caused by uninsured drivers so you should have been given substantial compensation for your extremely serious injuries? did you not claim.

My accident was a number of years ago, when I was a child. The fact remains, it is the insurance that pays, if the numbers paying insurance fall, how will accident victims be compensated?

Damn why pay for owt, just nick what you want and pay for nowt. If you consume you pay. Don't drive a car and you will have loads of wonga. Scum will always drive with no insurance in any circumstance. It is uninsured drivers that bump up premiums any how. Dob em in or trash thier car and watch them weep. They aint insured cos they are freeloadin scum.

Not all uninsured drivers are freeloadin scum, for example, you may have a sensible driver whom may drive without insurance due to having no other option of getting to work and therfore 'risk' going without insurance due to financial problems, or someone who simply forgot to renew their insurance.

Not all uninsured drivers are freeloadin scum, for example, you may have a sensible driver whom may drive without insurance due to having no other option of getting to work and therfore 'risk' going without insurance due to financial problems, or someone who simply forgot to renew their insurance.

If you are sensible, you are insured! What would a "sensible" uninsured driver do if they had an accident, with another car, or a pedestrian? To protect themselves, I suspect they would drive off.

I think its justified by the fact a £400 pile of junk can still wreck a £50k car and kill or main its occupants, particularly when ithe pile of junk is being driven by an 18 idiot.

An idiot is an idiot regardless of age. A car that can be bought cheaply is not necessarily a 'heap of junk'.

If you are paying £700 as a 36 year old it just shows you are a crap driver

Speaking of idiocy, that's a startlingly stupid assertion. You have no idea what car the poster is insuring. It's not as if all cars are in the same insurance group ... :roll:

You're wrong, ALL uninsured drivers are scum, the sooner they are caught and their cars seized and crushed the better.

Also, forgetting to renew is virtually impossible and is no defence.

you're wrong, all uninsured drivers are scum, the sooner they are caught and their cars seized and crushed the better.

Also, forgetting to renew is virtually impossible and is no defence.

hear! Hear!

I'm beginning to think we should have no insurance whatsoever and instead we should increase petrol taxation to fund the NHS.

How do you differentiate for risk then, is it fully comp insurance? Does petrol cost the same whether you fill up a fiesta or a ferrari?

It could be 3rd party insurance provided to all I suppose, which makes the value of the car irrelevant, but then what about the skill of the driver, the 17 year old with 3 accidents already and the 40 year old with no accidents are now 'paying' the same (in fact the 40 year old may pay much more if he drives more) despite the different levels of risk attached to each driver...

Archived