Is SF more strict than it used to be?

so why is it, that countless times, a thread has been edited or modified by the mods for some reason, and then something along the lines of..

"Please remember, this is a public forum so keep... blah blah blah"

or "Please remember, this is a family forum, so keep... blah blah blah"

Because the forum is privately owned, but any member of the public can view it without being registered.

It's 'only a bit of fun' if the other members are laughing with you. Many members may have found that comment rather offensive or upsetting.
The same members that wished suffering, pain and death on the piece of scum that placed the cat in the wheely bin you mean.

I believe mine was. <Are humans 'by nature' bisexual?> I saw no reason for it's removal, nor was there any explanation given.

In which case you didn't see the posts which caused the thread to be removed before they were deleted.

Believe me, if forum users had been capable of maintaining the mature discussion which started with the thread then it would have stayed. However, many were not prepared to do that and the thread resulted in a number of suspensions and a very large number of removed posts which broke our terms.

In which case you didn't see the posts which caused the thread to be removed before they were deleted.

Believe me, if forum users had been capable of maintaining the mature discussion which started with the thread then it would have stayed. However, many were not prepared to do that and the thread resulted in a number of suspensions and a very large number of removed posts which broke our terms.

so stop your squabbling CHILDREN ha ha ha:hihi:

I appreciate that medusa, but why not edit the offending posts and return the thread, otherwise discussing such topics might as well be prohibited.

I appreciate that medusa, but why not edit the offending posts and return the thread, otherwise discussing such topics might as well be prohibited.

Sometimes we do this, sometimes it takes an inordinate amount of time to clean up, bearing in mind that not just the offensive posts must be removed, but also the ones which quote them. This often results in a thread not making much sense. Sometimes nobody has time to do it. Unfortunately this results in some users ruining a topic for everybody else that had been debating it in a mature and sensible way.

One way to increase your chances of keeping a thread would be for everyone to just ignore anyone that is obviously 'trolling' or posting something offensive, so that their posts are isolated and easier to remove leaving the thread intact :)

I may be accused of being ignorant but,

who actually owns the forum and decides whether a thread is viable or not?

who is the don of SF?

when advertisers pay for adverts who profits from the money?

The forum owner, who pays all of the bills from the proceeds of advertising on the site and the like, no longer uses the forum on a day to day basis and concentrates on the technical and physical stuff like software, hardware and servers only. He's the one who has to pay for horribly expensive licenses for programs and the band width costs and I think that this is a completely valid use of the advertising costs.

I am the manager of the forum and take all of the 'people based' decisions and managing. I, like every other member of the team, am a volunteer and do the job in my spare time for no reward other than the knowledge that we're helping the place run for the benefit of the community.

The moderating, admin, AM and GL team is approaching 50 people these days and none of these people receive any pay for doing the job.

BTW- if you approach the forum with the attitude that the mod team are power junkies who exist to make your life hell as you have expressed on another post, then you're likely to find yourself coming head to head with forum rules in fairly short order. Please remember that on a private forum everybody posts as a guest of the site owner and at his discretion and we reserve the right to withdraw this discretion if we see fit. Play the game and enjoy the forum without attacking the team please.

Sometimes we do this, sometimes it takes an inordinate amount of time to clean up, bearing in mind that not just the offensive posts must be removed, but also the ones which quote them. This often results in a thread not making much sense. Sometimes nobody has time to do it. Unfortunately this results in some users ruining a topic for everybody else that had been debating it in a mature and sensible way.

One way to increase your chances of keeping a thread would be for everyone to just ignore anyone that is obviously 'trolling' or posting something offensive, so that their posts are isolated and easier to remove leaving the thread intact :)

That's good advice.. easier said than done, but good advice all the same.

I think its the MODS spoiling the forum more than anything, go against them and your post removed no explaination . Especially in the pet section its completey one sided and no longer a open forum.

To me they are / have spoilt the forum

The moderating team have no input into the Groups section, unless they are a Group Leader. All groups are run by Forum members, for Forum members. A Group Leader could tell me off if I were to wade into a Group and start moderating.

If you have a query with a Group you can PM the Group Leaders or the Groups Liaison, Moonbird.

Archived